52 Weeks Later

Gratitude Challenge - Week 52 - Did This Challenge Change You?
52 Weeks of Gratitude Challenge Complete
A year ago, as a new blogger desperate for ideas, I decided to follow a set of prompts called the 52 Weeks of Gratitude Challenge, committing to writing about gratitude each week for 52 weeks. That same July 2015, I went to my first concert, Imagine Dragons, and in July 2016, I again went to a concert, Big Gig. These concerts bookended a year of growth, development, and introspection. 

A year later, have I changed?

Absolutely.

At first, the practice of gratitude was incredibly tedious and unnatural. In the beginning weeks, I wrote posts that felt more obligatory than grateful. I worried that I could not force genuine gratitude and that my writing was a facade of true thanksgiving.

As time passed, the practice of gratitude became easy when what I was grateful for was positive. Passing tests, earning money, and working hard were all things I began to thank God for every day.

However, the true mark of gratitude, and the true change I felt, occurred when I became thankful for the negative events in my life. It is easy to bemoan the loss of a friend and pout, but instead, I learned to give thanks for the time spent with that person and then move on to new people. Lost opportunities open the door for better ones.

The practice of gratitude transformed my outlook on life, opening my eyes to the goodness in the world, in my surroundings, and in myself. I believe now that I can be grateful for everything, the good and the bad, and that this lifestyle will lead to happiness and fulfillment. Gratitude allows me to let go of the past and move to the future.

With the future in mind, that brings me to the changes in this blog. Obviously, I finished my gratitude challenge, but I do not want to abandon writing about gratitude. So, the 52 Weeks of Gratitude tab at the top of my blog has become simply a Gratitude section. It still holds all of my posts from the past year, but now it will expand to envelop future posts. In this section, I plan to continue writing about life, faith, and gratitude, just not as regularly as once a week.

I hope to strengthen the other sections of my blog (Books, Snacks, and Travel) in the next few months, and I am considering adopting another 52 week blogging challenge, but not until January. First, I want to see how I write without a prompt every week.

Back to the past year of gratitude because I cannot abandon my hard work just yet. Here are the prompts I followed for the year.
52 Weeks of Gratitude Challenge
If you see a topic that looks interesting, I have links to all 52 posts below! A message of warning - my writing significantly improves as the year progresses, so the first few posts are a little rough,
  1. 52 Weeks of Gratitude Challenge
  2. A Letter to All My Exes
  3. Family Move Night
  4. My Best Friend
  5. A Symbol of Unconventional Love
  6. Mountain Sunsets
  7. The Origin of Polyliteramore
  8. A Thank You to My Enemies
  9. My Struggle with Gratitude
  10. Finding Humility in Vanity
  11. Overcoming Adversity
  12. Contagious Laughter
  13. Success or Happiness
  14. Carpe Ballo
  15. Autumn
  16. Snowglobe Moments
  17. Required Reading
  18. A Positive Forecast
  19. The Neverending Journey
  20. Sister From Another Mister
  21. Winter
  22. How Snapchat Increased My Confidence
  23. Oculus
  24. Invisible Man
  25. Confessions of a Catholic School Girl
  26. Meeting Christ 2,000 Years Later
  27. Seeking Art
  28. Nostalgia
  29. Little Wonders
  30. High School Un-Musical
  31. Feminism for Life
  32. Holland, Michigan
  33. Anticipation
  34. Spring
  35. City to Suburbia
  36. Where the Heart Is
  37. Creating Polyliteramore
  38. Lisztomania
  39. Family Tree
  40. Loyola Marymount University
  41. Managing Free Time
  42. My Prized Possession
  43. Anne Frank
  44. The First Day of Summer
  45. A Message to the Class of 2016
  46. Social Media for Book Lovers
  47. Europe in Snapchats
  48. Writing & Studying
  49. Summer
  50. Lessons Learned in Gratitude
  51. 100 Thankful Things
  52. 52 Weeks Later - this one!
Plus one bonus gratitude post - 16 Things To Do in 2016

And, most of all, I am so grateful for the people who read my blog. I know you are out there because I just reached over 4,000 pageviews. I hope that you enjoy my writing and that you can add a little gratitude to your lives and your world. Because gratitude is what our world needs right now.

"It is not the happy people who are thankful. It is the thankful people who are happy."

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE