Summer

Gratitude Challenge - Week 49 - Things You Like About Winter (Actually Summer)
Aarhus Sunset

“Summer afternoon—summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.” ~ Henry James


Although summer is not my favorite season (that award goes to fall), there is no denying the validity of Henry James' quote. Here are my 10 favorite parts of summer:

1. After ending my last year of uniformed Catholic school, I am especially excited to showcase my summer style, which, in reality, consists of shorts and tshirts. I am not especially into fashion, but I enjoy the freedom to wear what I want in the summer, whether it be a swimsuit or shorts.

2. As the hot days of summer wane on, I look forward to the time after dinner when the weather cools off as the sun sets. Nearly every day ends with a gorgeous sunset (the picture above is from my trip to Europe). Those precious hours of light that do not exist during the winter make all the difference.

3. I love to swim, but I often grow tired of the stuffy indoor pool at my local gym. After Memorial Day, my neighborhood outdoor pool opens, marking the true beginning of summer. Sadly, I have yet to visit the pool, due to my Europe trip and college orientation, but I am hoping to go over this Fourth of July weekend.

4. Ice cream is my favorite treat on a hot summer day. While in Europe, I loved this gelato stand called IJscuypje, where I had coconut gelato one day and sea salt caramel another day. Unfortunately, this ice cream shop is thousands of miles away from me. As far as local ice cream places go, I love Sweet Cow.

5. Ever since I was a little girl, I have always said that every day of summer is Saturday. Even though I have more summer responsibilities now, there is no better feeling than completely forgetting what day of the week it is. I consider that to be the true sign of a relaxing vacation.

6. The oppressive summer heat often discourages my efforts to run, and I struggle to drag myself out of bed early enough to beat the heat wave. Instead, I walk more, especially in the evenings. In Europe, we walked between 10 and 15 miles every day, through cobblestone streets, marketplaces, and train stations.

7. The summer season coincides with the ripening of fruit. I do not think I have ever eaten a fruit I do not like. In the summer, I especially enjoy peaches, nectarines, and plums.

8. I do not drink soda simply because I do not like the taste, similar to my dislike of coffee. But, I love tea. The warmth of summer makes my usual hot teas unappealing, so I turn to iced tea. My dad and I like to make sun tea on the hot days by placing a jar with tea bags and water on our sun-baked back porch. At restaurants, I always order Arnold Palmers (half iced tea and half lemonade) to celebrate summer heat.

9. Even though I am a morning person, I do enjoy sleeping in on summer days. Ironically, I often wake up earlier when I do not have anywhere to be, but not trying to frantically turn off my alarm clock everyday is a welcome relief.

10. Food always tastes better outside, and the summer weather allows for lunches and dinners on the patio. Nothing is better than savoring every single moment of summer goodness, from the weather to the food and freedom.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE