Rain or Shine

Rain or Shine
Since my birth in the rainy city of Portland, Oregon, I have always proclaimed rain to be my favorite weather. From the spring rain that causes the season's flowers to grow, to the summer storms that quench the thirst of the dry earth and the torrential downpours of fall and winter, Portland's rain always acted as a welcome rejuvenation for me.

One of the biggest shocks when I moved to Colorado was the lack of rain, and the consequent lack of green vegetation. I missed the giant oak trees with roots that overtook sidewalks and trunks with holes that could house Winnie the Pooh and all his friends. But what Colorado lacks in vegetation, it makes up for in the unadulterated beauty of its skies and its mountains.
Colorado SkyColorado SkyColorado Sky
Although I was (and still consider myself to be) a seasoned Oregonian with a deep love for rain, I had never experienced a thunderstorm until I moved to Colorado. I vividly remember a certain summer day in August of 2007, when my brother and I tried to play out in the rain with an umbrella, only to be admonished by our parents with a lesson about lightning and the conductivity of electricity.

Colorado's summer thunderstorms are both disappointing and exhilarating. Due to the obvious safety hazard of lightning, my family and I spend many a summer afternoon indoors, and I have left the pool countless times at the command of the local lifeguard. However, these storms are certainly a sight to behold, especially against the background of the mountain sunsets.

Lightning illuminates the darkening sky, while the setting sun reflects off the mountains and clouds, creating gold and pink streaks across an otherwise blue sky. Indeed, the colors are beautiful, but my favorite part are the streaks of sunlight that stretch through the clouds. These rays occur throughout the summer, but are far more rare than the regular thunderstorm sunsets. 

I experienced one of these occasional beauties the other night, and took pictures to capture the moment. Even though I will always miss the lush foliage and rain of Oregon, I have grown to delight in the sunshine and the skies of Colorado.
Colorado sky

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE