Hanging by My Tears

Photo Credit: Jason Munoz

For the past six months, I have been working on a dance piece, choreographed jointly between six dancers and a professor. I performed this dance twice on campus a few weeks ago, and I am performing it again today, off campus at a space in Ventura.

The process to make this dance was unlike any other. I have never spent six months on a single piece, save for The Nutcracker, but this piece followed a lengthy period of curation and growth. My professor, Teresa, asked three dancers from LMU and three of her friends to work with her on a dance about peace. All six of us expressed frustration with the current political and world climate, the divisiveness that rules so much of our lives.

We came together on eleven Sundays spanning last semester and the beginning of this one to create excerpts of phrases, read poetry, and study Laban's movement patterns, a system for bodily engagement. Slowly, but surely, a seven minute piece emerged.

In the making of this dance, we were looking to achieve a sense of peace as the theme, but the unexpected result came in our own bodily experiences. As I dance, the energy picks up and pushes me near the point of exhaustion, but the piece winds down and leads to a bodily peace that is so powerful.

I have forged such bonds with the dancers over the past six months of my life, which happened to be some of the most tumultuous times in my personal life. Going to the studio every Sunday for three hours to work on achieving peace truly allowed me to quiet down and listen to my body and myself.

Titled "Hanging by My Tears," this dance grew out of seven people coming together to seek peace. It has been such a gift to work on the creation, choreography and performance of this dance, and I am thankful for the opportunity to bring a little more piece to my corner of the world.

Photo Credit: Jason Munoz

Photo Credit: Jason Munoz


"Hanging by My Tears"

Choreography: Teresa Heiland and Dancers

Music: Round and Round by David Karagianis

Performers: Gillian Ebersole, Darren Maser-Katter, Madeline Ortiz, Alison Sulka, Amy Vaillancourt, Amanda Wilson

Photography: Jason Munoz

Comments

  1. Thanks for Sharing this nice post..
    If you are a Frontier email user and were wondering what you need to know how about Frontier Mail Settings then you have come to the right place. In this article, Realmailinfo will take you through methods including all the steps in setting up Frontier email. The content also goes through the Frontier SMTP Port Settings and Pop3 for the same.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE