Six Feet of Love


Every week, I have a two hour staff meeting with the other staff members in my building. These are some of the most treasured moments of my week. We laugh about the crazy things freshman do, prepare for the upcoming events, and support each other through the ups and downs of life as an RA and as a student.

Last Wednesday, we did a reflection on the person we were most grateful for in that exact moment. When it was my turn to share, my lip quivered and then I started sobbing uncontrollably (something I rarely do), as I talked about Abby, my roommate from last year and my best friend. Right before the meeting, I texted her six dumb things in a row because I felt I had nobody else to vent to and her response? She told me those texts make her day.

She has seen the worst of me - after breakups and seven hour study sessions, when I am fuming about feminism or a bad grade, my all-nighter eye bags and no makeup mornings. She has listened to countless rants about random things and people that make me angry. I lost a chunk of my friends last semester as my RA role took a large portion of my time, and I lost more friends this semester over petty disagreements, but she sticks by my side - whether it be in the coffee shop or across campus.

She has come to every single one of my dance shows, even the ones I have told her she does not have to attend. She reminds me to sleep and to stay up to have fun. She values honesty, integrity, and intelligence, and we suffer and thrive as double majors together. Her science brain complements my artistic one, but we both value logic in a way that benefits any major.

Abby is six feet tall, and she always wears heels, so I look up to her, in more ways than one. She never hesitates to tell me when I am out of line, and I need that authenticity in a friend. Last night, we both watched 13 Going on 30 but I was in my bed, and she was across campus in hers. As the movie progressed, we texted each other updates until we fell asleep. Much of our friendship consists of studying and mutual commiseration about college frustrations, but she is also the one I turn to when I need to get off campus and have fun.

Here's to Abby, to pancakes and angsty indie bands, to women in science and strong women, to London Fogs and making fun of rom coms. Here's to finding a best friend in a random roommate.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE