Where the Heart Is

Gratitude Challenge - Week 36 - Your Home
Home
Home is where the heart is.

Last week, I wrote about the four different neighborhoods that have spanned my 18 year life. I lived nine years in Portland, Oregon, and I have lived nine years in Colorado. When I leave for college in a few months, I will start a new era of my life, perhaps living another nine years in a new place. 

Because I have lived in four different houses in two different states, my concept of home became fluid. For years after I moved to Colorado, when people asked me where my home was, I did not hesitate to say, "Portland." As more time passed, I lost a sense of my identity when I could not pinpoint where my home was. Is it where I live or where my heart is? Now, I tell people I am from Colorado, but I usually add that I grew up in Oregon. 

I cannot negate the time I have spent in Colorado, nor ignore the crucial part of my childhood I spent in Oregon. Both have become part of my concept of home, but these two places do not encompass all of what my home is or means.

Home is not a house or a building or even a person. To me, home is the sum of my surroundings. I feel at home with my friends at school or even on a vacation with my family. 

Ironically, as I write this post, I am in Los Angeles, visiting a college on a spring break trip. Yet, I still feel at home with my family. Next year, the biggest shock to me will be reinventing my concept of home to encompass a place without my family.

Alas, home is where the heart is. And sometimes, my heart may be in different places, and therefore, so is my home.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE