Nancy Drew

Nancy Drew
I read my first Nancy Drew book in 1st or 2nd grade. My parents bought me one of the little starter packs with the first five books of the series. I am pretty sure I read the first five books ten times, each. The mysteries sent my young heart pounding and made my head spin. I was hooked.

For the next ten years or so, I went through a never ending Nancy Drew phase. I collected all 56 original books with the help of my parents and grandparents. Every birthday and holiday brought more books. As I read more, they became harder and harder to find. Somehow, we managed to track them all down through bookstores, Amazon, and Ebay. I finally collected the last book only a few years ago.

Beyond the books, I watched the classic Nancy Drew TV shows from the 1970s, as well as remakes from the 1990s. When the movie came out starring Emma Roberts, I bought it as soon as it was available. It is my secret guilty pleasure for when I am sick; I have probably watched it five or six times. I went as Nancy Drew for Halloween in 5th grade, and I bought books about Nancy Drew, even if they were not written by Carolyn Keene.

As a character, Nancy Drew taught me what it means to be a classy lady without compromising my beliefs or my strong will. Many times in the books, police officers and professional detectives doubted the capabilities of this "amateur", but she proved them wrong every single time. Yet, even when she had been mistreated at the hands of others, she maintained her humility. Nancy Drew never waved her successes in front of others.

Though my days of make-believe crime fighting and detective work are long over, I still carry Nancy Drew with me. Much of my analytical brain must be attributed to her influence in my life. I am always careful to watch my back, and my purse, and I still remember the little trick she used to keep lipstick off drink glasses to prevent leaving evidence. 

From The Secret of the Old Clock to The Thirteenth Pearl, the Nancy Drew series blends ladylike class with a powerful punch. Years may pass, but I will never lose the Nancy I carry within myself.

Nancy Drew

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE