This I Believe

My sophomore speech class first introduced me to the This I Believe phenomenon. At the time, I wrote my own speech about how I believe in living in the moment. When a friend lent me this book, I eagerly read the speeches from people in America and around the world. They range from funny to sad to inspirational. Authors include teenagers, celebrities, politicians, and literary figures; from Helen Keller and Martha Graham to Albert Einstein and John McCain, the book provides a spectrum of This I Believe statements.

I found my speech from sophomore year, and memories of high school flooded my brain. How much have I changed in the past years, but elements of my speech still ring true for me today.

Here is my favorite excerpt:
I believe in living in the moment. As my dad always says, “Don’t let life get in the way of life.” For me, this means letting go of all my worries and doing what matters most: focusing on the now. I used to plan far in advance, even years, but unexpected events interrupted my plans. Now, I take life day by day, moment by moment. Today’s events can and will change the rest of my life. Yes, I still worry about the future or tomorrow’s math test, but when possible, I stop these thoughts. For me, anxious thoughts about any time other than the present waste precious time. I believe in celebrating life and living it to its fullest, which is right now.
This personal credo still applies today. I do not have a desire to write a new speech right now, maybe I will someday, but I definitely have a list of things I believe in.

I believe in laughter and smiles.
I believe in the pursuit of happiness.
I believe in collaboration.
I believe in God's plan, and love, for me.
I believe in fully dedicating myself to each task I undertake.
I believe in the beauty of love.
I believe in the precious dignity of life.
I believe in the power of belief.

As much as these personal credos of people inspire me, sometimes, it is in chanting these little beliefs on a day to day basis that I come to realize my greater beliefs.

And so, I challenge my readers, what do you believe?

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE