City to Suburbia

Gratitude Challenge - Week 35 - Your Neighborhood
I was born in downtown Portland, Oregon, the first baby to be born in the Pearl District in 100 years. City streets and public transportation marked the first years of my life. I vividly remember eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches from the local bakery before playing on the community playground. Early childhood is sweet, and the location of mine made it all the better. My parents and I lived in a lofted condominium. Since I was so little, I do not remember much of the loft, as we called it, but I do recall the high ceilings that stretched far away even when I sat on my dad's shoulders and the long hallways for playing with bouncy balls.

After my brother was born, my family busted out of our condominium and moved to a neighborhood outside of the heart of Portland. The location was still urban; we were only a few blocks away from local restaurants, including a lovely gelato place. Our house was a little 1924 colonial, petite, gorgeous, and homely. From playing in the backyard to learning to ride a bike on the sidewalk, my most nostalgic memories took place in this house. Even today, I remember the exact floorplan layout, something I hope I will never forget.

Moving to Colorado after living in Oregon for nine years shocked my almost-4th-grade self. My family traded our classic city house for a modern house on an acre of land. Our new neighborhood did not even have sidewalks, something I could not believe at the time. I learned how to mow the lawn with a John Deere tractor, I rode my bike on the trails in the nearby open space, and I found a secret tire swing from an old farm house. Over time, the acre of land and the large house was more of a stress on my family than a relief, but I still regard this house with fondness.

During my freshman year of high school, my family moved to a cookie cutter house in suburbia, the farthest thing from the loft I spent my first years in. Honestly, the house could not be more perfect for our family right now. Its proximity to my high school and to trails for running make it a beautiful place for us to live. Plus, the view of the Rocky Mountains provides opportunities for gorgeous sunsets, featured in the picture above. 

Living in different neighborhoods throughout my life has changed my perspective on people and places. This exposure to culture and lifestyles will shape the way I choose my future homes. Even though college will take my away from my current neighborhood, I am blessed to be living in a place I will look forward to returning to on breaks.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE