Spring

Gratitude Challenge - Week 34 - Things You Like About Fall (Actually Spring)
The weather this week has been absolutely gorgeous. Warm days and sunshine tease us with the coming of spring. I cannot become too excited though; March tends to be Colorado's snowiest month. While I wait for the official start of this season, here are my 10 favorite things about spring:

1. Rain is my absolute favorite weather, and springtime brings more opportunities for puddle-splashing and book-reading amidst the drizzle. Unfortunately, it rarely rains in Colorado, at least not as much as I would like it to, but I still love rain nonetheless. My inner Oregonian always emerges when it rains.

2. When it does rain, the already beautiful Colorado landscape becomes lush and green, a contrast to its usual shades of brown. Just a little rain transforms the mountains, bringing wildflower season and budding trees. There is nothing quite like a mountain meadow filled with wildflowers.

3. Spring brings my favorite weather for running. The cold of winter and the heat of summer are hard to endure while trying to exercise. The Colorado spring weather blends the warmth of the sun with the brisk wind, and I think I run faster in these conditions. At least it feels like I do.

4. I cannot mention spring without mentioning spring break! This year, my family and I are driving to California for my last college dance audition, and we are trying to make a vacation out of it. After spring break, senior year will start to wind down, and I will finally make my way toward the official college decision.

5. I love the spring semester because in dance, we work on our pieces for our end-of-the-year show. This year, the theme of our show is seasons and weather. My ballet dance is rain-themed (ah, my favorite), my modern dance is based on a summer thunderstorm, and we are dancing to Summer by Calvin Harris for jazz. Plus, since I am a senior, my fellow senior dancers and I are going to choreograph a senior piece to commemorate how much dance means to us.

6. I generally dislike cleaning, but I like things to be clean. It is a serious conundrum. Usually, spring gives me just enough motivation to embark on some form of spring cleaning. It usually consists of unearthing my desk from all my papers and attempting to clean out my closet. This year, I have this massive desire to purge before I go to college, an internal movement toward minimalism.

7. I love shorts. Spring finally allows me to break out my running shorts, my jean shorts, and my uniform shorts. Wearing shorts to school makes me happy, and I have to rejoice in the little things, especially when I wear a uniform. This spring is the last uniform shorts season I will ever experience, which blows my mind (I have been wearing a uniform since kindergarten).

8. Birkenstocks are my favorite shoes ever, and I have to put them away for the cold winter months. Now that the weather is warming up, I can wear Birkenstocks with my shorts. Sometimes, I plan my entire outfit around wearing my Birkenstocks. It is a good look, I know.

9. Spring always heralds new beginnings. From flowers to baby birds to my own resolutions, I always seem to find the motivation I need in spring after the cold winter months melt away. I am working on some life goals as well as some blog goals, and as I figure these out, I will be sure to write about them!

10. The best part of spring is that it provides a glimpse of summer. Starbucks starts to amp up its iced tea menu, kids play outside after school, and my neighborhood cleans the pool in preparation for the coming months. Summer means freedom. The light at the end of the tunnel shines through.

"Some old-fashioned things like fresh air and sunshine are hard to beat."
~ Laura Ingalls Wilder

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE