Anticipation

Gratitude Challenge - Week 33 - Something You Look Forward To
Anticipation is the mark of humanity. I always seem to be counting down to something, whether it be the end of a school day, the beginning of a break, or the nearest Friday. Sometimes, this anticipation becomes dangerous, for in my haste to reach whatever is coming, I fail to enjoy life as it is. However, anticipation is also a means of survival for the long days and weeks. I think it is about balance; moderation tempers the effect of any situation, particularly anticipation.

1. Spring Break

I have three weeks of school until spring break, and this vacation brings the end to, and beginning of, multiple things. According to my teachers, spring break will be the end of the majority of the senior year workload. I do not completely trust this, but I can only hope that my homework will lighten up a bit.

My last college dance audition is during spring break, and while I am very nervous, I am anxious to end the auditioning process and begin the decision-making. My family and I are making my last audition a road trip, so we are adding in our own little vacation.

Ultimately, spring break is the beginning of the end. I will need to crack down and study for AP tests and finals, but the light at the end of the tunnel will be there to guide me. The end of second semester brings many fun opportunities, and the warming weather also lightens my spirits.

2. Prom
I am undecided on whether or not I am looking forward to prom this year. Obviously, it will be fun because it is my senior year, but I do not have a dress yet, and there is no date in sight. That being said, I am fully prepared to make the most of my singleness because that means I can truly enjoy myself.

No matter what happens, prom will be fun. I am sure of it.

3.  Graduation
This one is self-explanatory. Part of me is torn on leaving high school behind, but I am also realizing that I am outgrowing the pace of high school. It is hard to outgrow things you do not want to leave behind, whether it be school, relationships, or hobbies, but this process opens up the door for more growth.

The end of high school approaches faster than I could have ever imagined. It seems like just yesterday that I was a freshman nervous to enter the doors of high school, singing Taylor Swift's Fifteen under my breath as an anthem. And last year, I vividly remember attending graduation as a junior, thinking, that will never be me. How time flies.

4. Summer
I am most excited for summer because that opens up the opportunity for me to sing What Time Is It? from High School Musical in my car with the windows down.

As for summer plans, my family and I will be traveling a bit, but most of this is up in the air still. If all goes well, I would like to start a travel section of this blog for the occasional adventures in my life. I also plan to babysit and tutor to earn money for college (books and tuition and everything is so expensive). Plus, I need to go through all of my clothes and everything before I pack up my life to go to college. Summer also brings time to dance, run, and do yoga more, which makes me happy.

My summer already looks packed, but I am determined to maintain time for my 2016 goal of spontaneity, even if it means I have to schedule in spontaneous time. I am probably the only person in the world that does that.

5. College
It is hard to look forward to an uncertain future. Constant prayers and advice from family and friends keep me afloat as I determine my future. Part of me looks at college as the biggest decision of my life. At this point, that may be true, but a more mature part of myself knows there are greater things to life than the college you attend. I trust in the phrase, "Life is what you make it."

Anticipation has defined a large portion of my senior year, in both good and bad ways. Hopefully, I can harness the power of this human quality to use it to make Friday seem closer without losing my sense of the present.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE