Success or Happiness

Gratitude Challenge - Week 13 - A Challenge You've Overcome

One of my dearest friends and I argued recently about our futures. I plan on majoring in Dance and English, my two favorite arts in the whole world (although even this is up in the air). My friend does not yet know what he desires to do. 

His parents pull him one way, toward an ROTC scholarship and a degree in biomedical engineering, while his own interests pull him another, toward a life abroad where he could explore the cuisine of foreign countries. He grapples with the desire to earn money, retire early, and achieve his dreams of traveling, while I insist that he skip the middleman and just travel and cook. I do not have an affinity for money or possessions, because so many richer things exist in life. I firmly believe in following my dreams, and I guess I tried to impose my beliefs a little too much on my friend. He became upset and lashed out at me, saying that I am wasting my intelligence by not being a doctor or following some other "intellectual" profession.

I cannot lie; that comment hurt. God blessed me with intelligence, but I like to think He wants me to use it for the good of myself as well as others. The idea of working in a hospital terrifies me. I considered being lawyer, as I seek justice in my daily life, but the issues in the world are too distressing. I could maybe get by as an engineer, but using math day in and day out seems like drudgery. Maybe my friend is right; maybe I am weak and selfish.

However, I would rather be an impassioned writer than a blase doctor. I want to feel, to experience, to love. In the words of one of my theology teachers, "The world does not need more unhappy doctors, engineers, and lawyers; the world needs more artists, performers, and others who love what they do."

Let me clarify this. There are many impassioned doctors, lawyers, and engineers. There are also many blase artists and performers. Whatever you do, do it with gusto. Live with umph. I would not have argued with my friend if I thought he really wanted to be a ROTC biomedical engineer. Life is too short to look back and think, I wish I had done... Regret can and will haunt us every day of our lives.

People question my decisions every day. Little voices tear down my confidence. Maybe I should find a more "logical" dream to pursue. Maybe I should opt for a profession that offers more money. Maybe I should pursue what I am successful at, rather than what I love.

What a sad world we would live in if people merely did what they were good at.

I am determined to overcome this biased obstacle. Yes, I believe in my calling to serve the world, but I do not think I can serve the world best through the white walls of a hospital or the mahogany desk of a courtroom. I truly believe that I can change the world from a stage or with a pencil. Maybe I will bring my love of dance and writing to those who are less fortunate and set fire to a new generation of artists.

Life is too short to give up on what you love. We have too little time to be lukewarm about our callings. Live the abundant life, one in which you choose to do everything you feel passionate about.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE