This Must Be the Place



Today is Bastille Day, and a year ago today, I was at the grave of Victor Hugo, sobbing. A year ago, I was studying abroad in Paris, living my dream dancing and using public transportation, and yet, I was experiencing one of my saddest and loneliest moments.

The scenario is not at all black and white. I love travelling and exploring, and going to Paris had been a lifelong dream of mine. The city holds so much dance history and bursts at the seams with art on every corner. I came armed with a to-do list nearly a mile long, and I accomplished everything on that list.

I had my first sip of sauvignon blanc, which has become my favorite wine. I fell in love with French fashion, and found myself interested in clothes for the first time. My short hair made people mistake me for a local. I learned how to have a basic conversation in French. I went five weeks without riding in a car. I bought a baguette for a euro on my commute home and ate half with dinner and the other half with butter and jelly for breakfast.

I cooked my first meal, drank my first beer, and did my French homework in my tiny Parisian apartment, my first apartment. I memorized the metro stops, so I did not have to use Google maps by the end of the trip. I choreographed my first full length solo, and I was proud of it. I still am proud.

I ate lunch on the Seine and bought books from the famous Shakespeare & Company. I visited the largest dance archive in the world. I danced on the streets of Aix-en-Provence and Marseilles and in the Jardin des Tuileries, outside the Louvre. I ate crêpes, croissants, eclairs, and macarons. I prayed in famous cathedrals and obscure little churches on the corner.

I swam in the Mediterranean sea. I walked over five miles every day, with my record being 14 the day I went to Versailles. I took two buses and a train to get to a tiny beach town called Cassis. I watched France win the World Cup in Russia on a giant TV screen at the Eiffel Tower. After, I walked home because someone set off a firework in the metro.

I also spent a lot of time crying. On a particularly rough day, I had a meltdown in Notre Dame. I think the tourists thought I was very devout, but I really just needed to cry.

When I returned home, it was really difficult to talk about the trip. I felt awful so much of the time, that it had soured my view of the trip. Still, I did not want to appear ungrateful, and I truly loved so many parts of the trip. I came up with a formula for how to address the trip. If I did not know the person well, I would just list some of my favorite moments. If I knew the person well, I would start by referencing the parts I loved, and then explain how hard the trip was.

Most often, people shrugged off any mention of my misery. But it was Paris! they'd say, it was the trip of a lifetime! They were not wrong either. It was Paris, and it was the trip of a lifetime. AND it was really hard.

I learned a lot about myself on that trip, especially how emotions can coexist. When I wept at the grave of Victor Hugo, I was filled with disbelief, sadness, loneliness, and regret. And yet, I recall that day as one of my favorites. I learned I really like myself as I am, and that I am actually interested in fashion when I am wearing clothes that make me feel confident and strong. Post-Paris, my self-love rocketed, and I am so much more appreciative of myself.

It is much easier for me to look back and romanticize that trip a year later. Time tints the past with a rosy hue. I think it is important to acknowledge how life-changing experiences overlap with mental health struggles. As a whole, 2018 was a particularly difficult year for me, and I also had incredibly meaningful moments - in Paris, in DC, in NYC, as well as at my homes in Los Angeles and Denver.

A year later, I would not tell my former self that it gets better. Sometimes, it really doesn't. Instead, I wish I could tell her that it is important to feel conflicting emotions at once. I would give myself the permission to cry and laugh in the same moment. I wish I could tell myself travelling is horrible and magical all at once. When I left Paris, I never wanted to go back. I was tired of the French attitude and the difficult language. Now, I know I can be frustrated and still miss the journey. This must be the place, right in the mess of it all.

Tu me manques, Paris.

Comments

  1. if you are searching and like to play games you are here on a right place. Its very hard to find the perfect games accroding to your mood and liking.
    But i recommend you a best place if you want to https://gamesdownloadfree.online/ you would love to visit it once.
    Lets give it a try i am sure you will always love to be here again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easily download videos and music directly from the Internet onto your device. All formats are supported. 100% free! Free Video downloader auto detects videos its the best place to download such premium paid apps free
    https://androidapkhere.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE