The Wombats


 On Friday night, I went to see The Wombats in concert at the Santa Ana Observatory. My motives were twofold: I had wanted to see the band for a while, and I had to write a paper for my journalism class on a concert. Previously, I saw Vinyl Theatre, Smallpools, and Misterwives at the Observatory, and I loved the venue, so I decided to go back.

Naturally, I needed to take notes, so I brought my writing notebook and my favorite Uniball Signo .7mm gel pen, which was promptly confiscated by security as a weapon. A tragedy, really. Luckily the rest of the night went much better.

Nation of Language and Future Feats opened, two contrasting indie bands. Nation of Language, whose two lead singers met at a Wombats concert, had a synthpop 80s vibe, and the lead singer's funky dance moves and deep voice completed the look. The high-energy Future Feats were a mix of punk guitar riffs, pop-country vocals, and edgy alternative style.

Liverpool-based punk/indie/alternative band The Wombats formed in 2003. Known for their ironically upbeat songs about depression, bad girlfriends, and various addictions, I have always enjoyed their music, but never been particularly struck by their lyrics or song-writing. With four albums, they had a vast music body to choose from, and played hits from the past fifteen years. Their fifth album, Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life, is set to release on February 9th, and the released singles demonstrate a maturation of musical ability, so I cannot wait to hear the rest of the album.

In particular, their new song "Turn" might be in my top ten songs of all time. It possesses a level of lyrical depth and dexterity not seen in their previous albums. I absolutely love the refrain, which goes like this:

I like the way your brain works, I like the way you try
To run with the wolf pack when your legs are tired
I like the way you turn me inside and out
I like the way you turn
I like the way your brain works
I like the way your brain works

Unlike their previous albums, which often bemoan their lack of girlfriends and their desire for various drugs/alcohol, this song admires a woman for who she is and how she thinks. What a novel idea!

While waiting for their next album, here's the playlist I use to relive the concert experience:




Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE