A Concert Trifecta


Last Saturday night, I endured a 90 minute Uber ride with three of my friends to catch three of my favorite bands in concert at The Observatory in Santa Ana. The venue was a small theatre among many offices and a Home Depot that provided a bathroom before we got in. We waited in line for about an hour before entering the space, which was completely with a full service bar/restaurant and blasting AC. The Observatory holds just over 500 people, so the introvert in me greatly appreciated the intimate atmosphere.

I previously saw the first band, Vinyl Theatre, at Big Gig in Colorado during the summer of 2015. From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, this alternative indie rock band is made up of three men, and their band has taken off with their single "Breaking Up My Bones" and the recent release of their newest album, Origami. During the concert, their music sounded grittier and heavier than their recorded versions, and I enjoyed the unique touch. After the concert, we even got to meet the band, featured in the picture below.



I was least familiar with the second band, Smallpools, but now I have yet another indie band to love. After a hit single, "Dreaming," in 2013, the band played at the 2015 Lollapalooza. During the concert last weekend, they released a new song, and we were part of a fraction of people that have heard this new song. The band's sound has more angst than Vinyl Theatre, but their jams are perfect for drives to the beach after midterms.

Big Gig in 2015 also introduced me to what is now my favorite band in the whole world. Misterwives is an American indie pop band known for its upbeat songs that tackle serious issues. Singer, Mandy Lee, danced around the stage and serenaded the audience while her five male band members supported her. The sound of the band is so unique, in part, that each member plays multiple instruments, and changed throughout the concert to give rise to different blends. Misterwives also released a new song.


I loved this concert, and the venue, because it magnified the struggle of small bands who have fought and succeeded in their art. It was amazing to stand among a group of loyal fans, in the second row, and to meet some of the artists after the show. Even a week later, the concert playlist I made on Spotify to remember the experience has become the soundtrack of my life. I am so thankful for indie bands, small music culture, and the ability to see it all in LA.

Plus, there is nothing better than In N Out after a great concert to survive the Uber ride home.


Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE