Words of Wisdom

A few weeks ago, while working alone in the costume shop on a particularly stressful Saturday, I saw a note my boss had left on the whiteboard. It read:

Remember: if it seems too hard, you are probably doing it wrong.

This note had been up for the whole semester, but I have always just applied it to sewing, patching, and sorting costumes. If I spend more than 15 or 20 minutes on one stage of a project, my boss always checks in with me and usually says, "Gillian, you're making this harder than it needs to be."

Somehow, it hit me in that moment that this quote was not just about sewing, but more about life. Whether it be my latest paper, a friendship, a dance movement, or RA paperwork, if I am spending an exorbitant amount of time on one activity, I am probably not completing it in the most efficient way.

Since reading that quote with a fresh perspective, I have been trying to switch things up when I get stuck, rather than pushing on an immovable wall of my frustration. Ironically, the quote I read on that Saturday paired perfectly with the second reading at Mass that weekend.

From St. Paul's Letter to the Philippians 4:6-9
Brothers and sisters:
Have no anxiety at all, but in everything,
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving,
make your requests known to God.
Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding
will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers and sisters,
whatever is true, whatever is honorable,
whatever is just, whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious,
if there is any excellence
and if there is anything worthy of praise,
think about these things.
Keep on doing what you have learned and received
and heard and seen in me.
Then the God of peace will be with you.

I took these words to heart and made a point to make the past week of my life, my birthday week, the most meaningful and least stressful week possible. In many ways, I found myself happier and less stressed. From adventures with my dad, to an impromptu midnight cupcake on my birthday, to a weekend dinner at my favorite restaurant with my best friends, I found little ways to celebrate myself. These little moments helped with the harder parts of my week - a difficult ballet class, two new papers to write, and RA responsibilities. 

Recently, I have reflected a lot on how to find balance in life, and I really think it comes down to these two passages. The first quote reminds me that I should never spend all my time and energy working on something the same way - it is simply not efficient or effective. The second helps me remember that I am on a quest for something greater in this life, and though I may be overwhelmed, I am never alone. I cast all my fears and anxieties onto God. And, as I realized during my birthday week, I have so many people in my life that love and care for me who I can depend on. I am so inexplicably blessed to have a life so full of what it means to be human.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE