Overcoming Adversity

Gratitude Challenge - Week 11 - Someone Who Inspires You

Emily is my hero.

I do not really remember the circumstances surrounding when or why or how we met. All I know is that we somehow sang Soprano 2 together in choir during our freshman year. For the next three years, we endured countless choir class by mastering our eye contact communication. Although she dropped choir this year, Emily has a beautiful voice, and I miss her in every choir class.

This girl became one of my closest friends throughout high school. She has a wicked sense of humor, and I love to laugh, so we are a dynamic duo. Emily always manages to see the best in people, and I tend to be a very cynical person. She always combats my realism with her shiny optimism. With her blue eyes, blonde hair, and sprinkle-like freckles, this girl is beautiful. Although she possesses outer beauty, what makes her truly gorgeous is her personality. Her smile can light up even the darkest day, and that is a beautiful quality. I will never grow tired of hearing her laugh. Whenever she gets excited about something, her voice raises a whole octave and her face lights up. So many teenagers cannot find joy in the little things in life, but Emily has mastered that skill.

Beyond her personality, Emily has endured major surgeries, dislocated shoulders, and other hardships I probably do not even know about. She approaches each setback with a continuous attitude of grace, poise, dignity, and hope that is truly inspirational. I know of no other 17-year-old girl who could endure the trials she faced. When I watch her run for track practice, I cannot help but smile. She still runs faster than I ever could! I am so thankful to call Emily my friend. It is a true honor.

So because I am nerdy, I always have a favorite word, or two, or twenty. Ever since I was a little girl, my favorite word has been believe. For me, it embodies so many aspects of my life – my Catholic faith, my own self-belief, my aspirations and dreams. Emily embodies this word more than any other person I know. She can take even the most hopeless of situations and turn them into positive experiences. That is positively amazing. And exactly why she is worthy of the title of hero.

"A woman is like a tea bag; you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water" ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE