My Kind of Fun


This week has been positively lovely. The Los Angeles winter lifted a bit to reveal sunny skies, even though it is still a chilly 60 degrees. (I know, I have become an utter wimp when it comes to temperature). 

On Monday, I finished up my teaching seminar, where I learned how to better facilitate dance classes. I attended the Dance Education Laboratory on full scholarship, and I was so thankful that my university invested in my education so I can invest in my students. I absolutely adore my new Friday dance class at a local high school. My friend and I co-teach the class, and we both attended the teaching workshop, so I feel equipped to give them a well-rounded dance experience.

Then, on Tuesday, I was invited to get pointe shoes by my ballet professor. I had pretty much given up on doing pointe this year. I tried to incorporate it during my freshmen year, but it did not quite work the way I wanted. My ballet professor only invites a few dancers to get pointe shoes - it is a great honor.

So, on Wednesday, I skipped my work shift at the costume shop and went to Hollywood to get a pair of shoes. The ladies working at The Dance Store were so kind, and they went to great lengths to find good shoes for my very wide feet. On Thursday, I wore pointe shoes for the first time in years. It was as difficult as I remember, but I am also so much stronger, so I am so proud of myself.

That was not the only good dance experience of the week. We had a guest dance teacher this week in our modern classes. Christina Robson, from Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company, taught the juniors and seniors partnering and improvisation. She was so happy and goofy, and I had so much fun (a word I rarely use) in her classes. 

After a long week of dancing, my friend Abby and I danced a little more when we watched our friends play in their band, The Old Ways. We saw them play at a house party a few weeks ago, but the noise alerted the local police. This time, they played on campus, and we braved the windy sunset weather to enjoy the music. There were no drunk people, so I was thrilled. Abby and I ended up hanging out with our favorite philosophy professor, and the president of the university joined the band to sing a cover of a U2 song. Also fun (now I have used the word twice in one week!) 

And last night, I did my laundry and slept. This week has been packed and spacious all at once, and I am filled with gratitude for my university and for this city.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE