Lots of Love


I completely forgot about Valentine's Day. It has been raining off and on for the past month in Los Angeles, and this last week was particularly damp. I had a huge essay due on Valentine's day itself, and I was preparing to teach a high school dance class on Friday.

My ballet class was cancelled the morning of Valentine's, so I slept in (a rarity for a dance major). The day was misty and a bit gloomy. I spent the morning moping to some Frank Ocean, but managed to rally through my classes.

Midway through the day, my history professor rewarded my class for turning in our essay (8 pages on sweet potatoes - do not ask me how I did it), and I had the rare opportunity to check my mail box. My parents had sent me a package with little treats, and that lifted my spirit.

When I got back to my room, two of my RA coworkers had left Valentine's on my door, including a this lovely rose. Then, my best friend Abby and I got dinner on campus together and watched the indie romance film, Submarine, in my room. We also sang a lot of Taylor Swift to express our brokenhearted woes.

I was working on duty for my RA job that night, and my residents begged me to hang out with them, which rarely happens. They kept me up almost until 2am, but I felt so loved. The next day, I taught my dance class to my high school students, and they loved it so much they begged me to extend the class for 15 more minutes.

I have never actually celebrated a romantic Valentine's day. Honestly, they are quite overrated and functions of a highly materialistic capitalist society, but that is an essay for another day. Right now, I am just so thankful to have so much love in my life.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE