Je Suis Américaine


After spending just one week in Paris, it's easy to see why people love this city. The buildings are beautiful, the food is delicious, the people are stylish, and there is so much rich history behind all of the city.

Life on the Seine

Every day, I take French class from 9 to 12am and then hop on the metro to my afternoon dance class from 2 to 7pm. I have been eating lunch on the Seine River, and I love watching the tour boats go by and pretending I am French while waving. It is a full day, and I absolutely love it, but it is exhausting when I don't speak the language.

On Friday, I tried to go to Notre Dame and Saint Chapelle, two historic buildings, but the lines were too long for the hot weather. I decided to sit down and eat my lunch, and I kept having to move for a variety of reasons (an aggressive man, people smoking, dirty benches). Finally, I made my way to the Rodin museum where I was supposed to meet my fellow dance majors. Since I was early, I tried to go in (I was told it would be free), but the ticketing person took one look at me and said, "You are American. It is not free." So, I left and cried.

I am working on my French (I have a test tomorrow on four verbs, some vocab, and the numbers). For the most part, people are really kind. In the area where I live, the people are so eager to help and direct me where I need to go. There are just a few French people with a bit of resentment toward Americans. And while I don't necessarily blame them, it is so frustrating when all I wanted to do was sit down in a garden.




Musée d'Orsay
I visited this beautiful museum on Thursday night for the late hours. The actual building is an old train station, and it was stunning. I loved the ballroom in the middle picture, and my dance professor and I laid down on the floor to look at the ceiling.

Musée Rodin

My dance class and I visited this museum dedicated to Rodin's dance sculptures on Friday afternoon. I particularly liked his sculptures of hands. The grounds of the museum are peaceful and secluded, and I enjoyed walking through the gardens.

Eiffel Tower
On Friday night, a group of us went to the Eiffel Tower to see it sparkle at 11pm. Before going to France, I dismissed the Eiffel Tower because I was not all that interested in it. However, it is far more stunning than I ever expected. When I walk through the city, sometimes I will turn the corner and catch a glimpse of the top of it. It does not seem real. Watching it sparkle took my breath away.

Grand Palais des Champs-Élysées
We wandered around the Grand Palais and Petit Palais on Saturday to get outside and see the city. I loved the golden doors of the Petit Palais and the stunning pillared architecture of both buildings.



Arc de Triomphe de l'Étoile
Another monument I wasn't expecting to be thrilled by, the Arc was so huge I could not fit it in a close-up picture. It was imposing and regal, amidst the crazy Parisian intersections.

Week one in Paris has been one of the longest and hardest weeks of my life. I have loved exploring and expanding my world experience, and this is an exhausting process. I am looking forward to living here for the next month. I have already begun to see the same people on the metro, and I love the feeling of becoming more of a local than a tourist.

Now, off to study my French because that is what gives me away as an American!

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE