J'adore l'Art


My third week in Paris has been absolutely filled with adventures, and the weather took a slightly cooler turn, which made city walking and metro riding a bit less exhausting. I am constantly in awe of the artistry and deep history of this city, and I think my explorations this week have reignited my artistic inspiration and connected me to a deeper lineage of people who, like me, crave artistic and intellectual ingenuity.

Palais Garnier

The setting of Phantom of the Opera, this giant theatre seats nearly 2,000 people. Many famous dancers and dance companies have performed here, and it is home to the renowned Paris Opera Ballet. Since I just finished Dance History in the spring, I enjoyed exploring all the archives of performances, breathing in the musty air of the theatre that so many of my dancing predecessors have been in.





There was a Picasso exhibit in the Opera House, as he partnered with the famous Ballet Russes to create costumes for Leonide Massine's ballet Parade. His original sketches and costuming ideas were displayed, and this created an additional connection to the history of dance. In the photo below, Picasso dances in order to feel the sensations of the subjects he paints.



Saint Chapelle

Saint Chapelle is a rather obscure looking building from the outside - it does not really catch the eye, and it is not particularly beautiful. But the inside of this building features stained glass windows for every book of the Bible, and I was astonished at the beauty of each individual window. This was such a peaceful location, and I am so thankful I went inside. I truly have never seen windows like these.


Palais de Justice








Around the corner from Saint Chapelle is the Justice Building, which was also unexpectedly beautiful. I loved the quiet hallways and the high ceilings. The famous French motto, Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité, crowns the doorway.


Eiffel Tower

I visited the Eiffel Tower during the day and at sunset this week. I thought the novelty of the building would wear off but it really is beautiful at every hour of the day. Here are some photos around the famous Parisian icon.





Château de Versailles

Early Saturday morning, I trekked to Versailles with one of my roommates. Home to Louis XIV, the father of ballet, this opulent building is a bit disgusting in its wealth, but absolutely stunning to walk through. I loved the ornate doors and white light corridors throughout the palace.




Eventually, we made our way into the gardens. As stunning as the palace, the gardens have hundreds of fountains and no two are exactly alike. I absolutely loved the gardens, and the cool breeze made the sunny day perfect for wandering through the acres of groomed bushes and flowers.






The Trianon Estate

About a twenty minute walk away from Versailles, the home of Marie Antoinette is equally beautiful. The little gardens behind her home had the most beautiful combination of wildflowers, blues, pinks, and purples.




After walking back to Versailles, I checked my step count, and I had walked 25,000 steps and 12 miles. So far, I think that is a trip record.

Sacre Coeur

After a lazy Sunday morning, I hiked up the stairs to Sacre Coeur, The Basilica of the Sacred Heart. This is the highest point in Paris, and the beautiful church comes with beautiful views of the city. Inside the basilica, there was a statue of Saint Thérèse of Lisieux, whom I am named after. The golden ceiling was one of the most striking images I have seen.



Montemartre

Sacre Couer is located in a really cute area called Montemartre, and it was quintessentially French in every way. We ended up spending the day exploring, shopping, and eating gelato. I loved the flowers on the streets and the sweetest street art. It was a lovely Sunday to end my third week.


I am currently cramming for my French exam tomorrow, and I cannot believe I only have one more week in Paris. I only have a few things left on my list, so I will continue to document my adventures!

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE