Allez Les Bleus!

It's week two in Paris, and I finally am getting my bearings in the city. This week has been a lot better than the first, even though I still butcher every conversation I try to have in French. This weekend, my roommates took a trip to Barcelona, so I had the Parisian apartment to myself. Good cooking, adventures, and art has been the highlight!

Shakespeare & Company
 On Friday afternoon, I took a break from the French language by going to the famous English bookstore in Paris. It was tiny and crowded and adorable, but not a place I could sit and read like I wanted. Even though I was not supposed to take a picture inside, I couldn't help but snap this selfie in the mirror with the sign for the poetry section.

I left with fifty less euros and a heavy backpack, but a happy heart.


Musée du Louvre
 The Louvre is so overwhelming, and I had sort of been avoiding it out of my distaste for large crowds and stuffy museum rooms. Luckily, I found a friend to go with me on Friday night, and her French was good enough to negotiate with the ticketing and we got in for free. Apparently, the late Friday nights are free for ages 18 to 26 but only if you ask in French. Otherwise, they will make you pay.

So, I got into the Louvre for free.

From 6 to 10pm, we scoured the giant museum, trying to see as much as possible. The Mona Lisa was as underwhelming as I expected, and I did not even feel compelled by Venus de Milo. I was a bit disappointed at first, and the crowds were quite annoying. However, as the night went on, there were less and less people.


My favorite moment was walking into the Richelieu sculpture room at around 8:30pm when it was absolutely empty. Compared to the dark hallways and lavish rooms of the quarters of Louis XIV, Louis XV, and Napoleon III, this room was a breath of fresh air.


 The sunset through the windows took my breath away. I really recommend visiting the Louvre on a Wednesday or Friday night when it is open late, because I ended up loving the experience.


The Pantheon
 I could not come all the way to Paris without paying a visit to Victor Hugo, one of my favorite authors of all time. I arrived early on Bastille day, and I was the first one to enter, for free. I almost ran to visit his grave, and when I walked through the crypt, I suddenly became very emotional.

I ended up crying at Victor Hugo's grave, alone, for a good bit. His book, Les Misérables, holds a lot of memories for me. Some of the best and worst moments of my life are connected to that book. It also inspired me to cut my hair short, so it was fitting to visit Hugo in my current state.

I did end up exploring the Pantheon, but those quiet moments in the crypt with Hugo were some of my favorite minutes of this trip.

Centre Pompidou


I went to this contemporary and modern art museum after the Pantheon. It was not my favorite museum, but it is important to note I received the student rate here because I negotiated in French. This one success is making up for all my French failures. I loved some of the work by Chagall and the photography, but modern art just is not my favorite, and the building was laid out in a way that made it difficult to make my way through the exhibits. Still, the AC was a nice break from the summer Paris heat, and I did enjoy the visit.


 Le Petit Palais
I was so struck by the beauty of this building I went back to see the art exhibits on Sunday morning. Most of the building is free, and I paid the student rate for the special impressionism exhibit (failed at that French conversation but it's ok).

This might be the best museum I have ever visited. It is a great size, big enough to be work the money and the trip, but small enough that I felt like I could see everything in under two hours. It was laid out beautifully, and I really enjoyed just wandering through the halls. Le Petit Palais is a hidden gem, overshadowed by the other attractions!



Currently, I am waiting for the World Cup to start and getting ready for my French test this week. I cannot wait for another week of exploring and seeing art. Allez les bleus!

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE