A Little Yarn and a Whole Lot of Love


I work in the Costume Shop for the Department of Theatre Arts and Dance, and we spent the last two weeks knitting sweaters for the trees. Since work had nearly finished up after the last play, we decided to "yarn bomb" some trees near the library with knit scarves and attached inspirational messages for those end-of-the-semester blues. 

tend to the relationship you have with yourself . first. last. always.
- della hicks-wilson

Don't light yourself on fire to keep someone else warm.


Both of these quotes speak to my experience this semester. I love my job as an RA, and I am so thankful for all the love I have to give. However, I found myself in a position where my job and my life took everything out of me, and I did not have five spare minutes for myself. After a whole lot of crying and reevaluating, I realized I have to make myself a priority because nobody else will.

Last night, my friends and I threw a little Christmas party where we exchanged gifts and played "Who's Most Likely To...?" Sitting on the floor of my best friends' dorm, I realized how much more they know me than I thought. For Christmas, I received one of my favorite poetry books, the new Taylor Swift album, a Ravenclaw notebook, a great new mug for tea, and a bunch of socks. I was so happy to know my friends took the time to recognize what I care about. 

As we played the game, we all discovered that we know each other way better than we thought. Some of my favorite attributes I received were:
most likely to dance on tables
most likely to alphabetize the spice rack
most likely to be up at 7am on Saturday

After the game, we all laid in one tiny dorm bed and laughed at our own ridiculous natures, our fear of finals, and the silliness of our everyday worries. I don't have to light myself on fire for these women, because we all keep each other warm. I am so proud to stand, and study, by their side.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE