A Few of my Favorite Things


*cue Julie Andrews singing*

A few days ago, I spent time with one of my best friends. We went out for lunch at a favorite cafe of mine in Louisville, Colorado, called Bittersweet. I had a spinach, mushroom, egg bagel sandwich and a delicious bhakti chai. Then, we wandered through an antique record shop on our way to a used bookstore, and I left with a few books. We went to my favorite ice cream place, Sweet Cow, and I had peanut butter brownie in a sugar cone. The day ended with an errand to buy succulents for a few Christmas gifts. All in all, the day was filled with a lot of my favorite things - good food, books, ice cream, spontaneity.

While we were talking, I thought of a list I have yet to make - a list of things I never regret. Though I have been practicing gratitude and mindfulness for over two years, being grateful for something and not regretting it are two different qualities. I am grateful for some things I regret because these events shaped my life in someway or led me to where I now stand. However, the things I never regret are the quintessential moments of happiness and health in my life.

Here is my preliminary list of things I absolutely never ever regret doing:

  • travelling
  • buying books
  • spending extra money to eat healthy food
  • buying fruit
  • taking the time to have a genuine conversation
  • giving away old clothes or possessions
  • recycling
  • doing laundry
  • going to bed early so I can sleep an extra hour
  • saying "I love you"
  • saying "thank you"
  • singing in the shower
  • working out
  • free writing
  • dancing
  • taking photos of the sunset
  • having a spontaneous adventure
  • working hard and giving my best effort
  • making my bed
  • waking up early
Some of these things are not always fun (waking up early, doing laundry, working out) but I always feel that light sense of happiness after. This Christmas season, I am especially grateful for the things I never regret. These seem to be the essence of what makes my life joyful and meaningful in what can be a whirlwind existence.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE