2017 Book Round Up


I committed to the Goodreads 2017 Reading Challenge with a goal of 52 books, two books more than last year. Luckily, I exceeded this goal by reading a total of 60 books in 2017!

I am very stingy with my five stars, but I am also extremely hesitant to give books less than two stars unless I really, truly disliked them. This year, I added another book to my five-star-rating list (which previously consisted of only four books). Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte, captivated my attention and gave me hope in myself all at once. Also this year, I gave a book the infamous one-star-rating, granted to If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino. I read this book for my fiction class in the spring, and absolutely abhored it. If you want to know why, that is a two hour conversation, or another blog post someday titled "Worst Books I Have Ever Read."

All in all, I had a lovely reading year, ranging from short fiction stories to ancient philosophy, from post-apocalyptic narratives to poetry. I am looking forward to new literature in 2018, and hopefully increasing my reading goal.

A guide to my rating system:
★★★★★ - Reserved for my favorite books ever
★★★★    - A must-read
★★★       - Enjoyable, I recommend it
★★          -  Not recommended but ok
★             - Bad, not interesting at all
✔             - Click the checkmark to read my review

  1. Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer ★★★★
  2. The Last Season by Eric Blehm ★★★
  3. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen ★★★
  4. He's Gone by Deb Caletti ★★
  5. We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie ★★★★
  6. The Trouble With Women by Jacky Fleming ★★★★
  7. The Little Book of Feminism by Harriet Dyer ★★★★
  8. Beowulf ★★
  9. The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens ★★★
  10. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight ★★ 
  11. Jealousy by Alain Robbe-Grillet ★★★
  12. How I Discovered Poetry by Marilyn Nelson ★★★
  13. If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino ★
  14. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling ★★★★ 
  15. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi ★★★★ 
  16. Persepolis 2 by Marjane Satrapi ★★★★ 
  17. Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov ★★
  18. Apology by Plato ★★★
  19. Phaedo by Plato ★★★
  20. The Princess Saves Herself in this One by Amanda Lovelace ★★★★
  21. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte ★★★★★  
  22. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen ★★★★
  23. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood ★★★
  24. Victoria by Daisy Goodwin ★★★★
  25. A Choreographer's Handbook by Jonathan Burrows ★★★★
  26. The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler ★★★★
  27. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by John Tiffany and J.K. Rowling ★★★
  28. In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson ★★★★
  29. The Cellar by Natasha Preston ★★
  30. Censoring an Iranian Love Story by Shahriar Mandanipour ★★★★
  31. Who Will Catch Us As We Fall by Iman Verjee ★★★★
  32. Ballerina Body by Misty Copeland ★★★★
  33. In the Land of Invisible Women by Dr. Qanta Ahmed ★★★★
  34. Animal by G.S. Banks ★★★★
  35. The Last Summer by Ann Brashares ★★★
  36. Disquiet by Julia Leigh ★★
  37. Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay ★★★★
  38. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell  ★★★★
  39. The God of Small Things by Arudhati Roy ★★★
  40. Columbine by Dave Cullen ★★★★
  41. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden ★★★★
  42. Voyage of the Sable Venus by Robin Coste Lewis ★★★★
  43. Frankenstein (1818 version) by Mary Shelley ★★★★
  44. Lucy by Jamaica Kincaid ★★★★
  45. Bluebeard's Egg by Margaret Atwood ★★★
  46. The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur ★★★★
  47. The Triggering Town by Richard Hugo ★★★
  48. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood ★★★
  49. The Regret Histories by Joshua Poteat ★★★
  50. The Road by Cormac McCarthy ★★★
  51. Blackacre by Monica Youn ★★★★
  52. A Little Book on Form by Robert Hass ★★★★
  53. The Mind's Eye by Kevin Clark ★★★★
  54. Late by Cecilia Woloch ★★★★
  55. Poems, Poets, Poetry by Helen Vendler ★★★
  56. The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson ★★★★
  57. Girl at War by Sarah Novic ★★★★
  58. No Matter the Wreckage by Sarah Kay ★★★★
  59. I'll Push You by Patrick Gray ★★★
  60. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling ★★★

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE