Loyola Marymount University

Gratitude Challenge - Week 40 - Greatest Accomplishment
Loyola Marymount University
Although attending college may not be my greatest accomplishment, the process has been so long and strenuous that it deserves some recognition in itself. I'm so blessed to announce that I will continue my Catholic education at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles next year. I plan to major in my two favorite arts, dance and English, through their Honors Program. 

The process of picking this school began my sophomore year, when I decided I wanted to major in dance. I looked at many schools with dance programs, beginning with the University of Arizona and continuing on throughout the Midwest, Colorado, and California. Looking at schools is the best part of the college process; the worst part is the testing and the applying and the stress. So, after all of this planning, preparing, and analyzing, what made me choose LMU?

Logistically, I love the size of LMU. At just over 6,000 undergraduate students, the school is large enough to offer the amenities and programs I desire, but small enough to boast classes under 50 students and relationships with professors. The Jesuit Catholic environment furthered my love of the school; it will be much easier to attend Mass during college when I walk by the Chapel everyday.

LMU is one of the only Catholic universities to offer the ability to be a dance major, an English major, and participate in the Honors Program. I am excited to continue my Catholic education while extending it to the studies of the arts I love with people who value academia as much as I do. LMU blessed me with the scholarships necessary to attend this dream school.

Beyond the campus itself, LMU's location in Los Angeles appealed to my desire to see the world. I know that I will have to be conscious of the dangers of the big city (my parents bought me a guide book with "what to do and not to do in LA"). But it is the opportunity to live in a world-renowned city that inspires me. I cannot wait to be immersed in a new culture.

Ultimately, I chose LMU for many reasons, but the campus environment truly won me over. My biggest fear when visiting the school was of the potential Hollywood snobbish attitude complete with brand-name clothes. In fact, my experience was the exact opposite. The dance students excitedly informed me about their program, the faculty encouraged me to attend, and random students in the line for Starbucks struck up conversation about their love of LMU.

From my parents to my teachers to my guidance counselor, I could not have achieved this without their help. I owe it all to them. Many thanks to all the people who made attending my dream school a reality!

Los Angeles

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE