Roadtripping to LA

California Venice Canals
For spring break, my dad drove my family a total of over 40 hours and 2,100 miles to Los Angeles and back to Colorado. From snowstorms to LA traffic, he braved it all. Thankfully, we all made it back alive and in one piece; however, we hope to never drive this route again. 

The purpose of our trip was to visit Loyola Marymount University for my dance audition, but we tried to make a semi-vacation out of the journey. Despite the exhausting drive, having a car allowed us to see parts of LA and California off the beaten path. As an added bonus, my brother and I watched seven movies in the back of our car. 

Here are the five highlights of our spring break road trip:

After the first harrowing 20 hours to LA, we decided to walk along Venice Beach and the Canals to unwind and stretch our legs. The gorgeous weather and scenic beaches caused me to lose track of time. Five miles later, we returned to our hotel, tired and sore, but relieved. The Canals themselves are a sight to be seen; the variety of architecture is reminiscent of Italy, Florida, and Spain. The tiny houses remind me of simplicity, although they come at a premium price. Venice Beach embodies the essence of LA, a little crazy, a little posh, and very beachy.

2. Irori Sushi
The night before my audition, my family and I wanted a light dinner, so we went to a local sushi place. As per traditional Japanese custom, the hostess asked us to remove our shoes at the entrance. We sat on cushions on the floor and put our legs beneath the table into holes in the ground. The sushi was delicious, the best I have ever had. Unlike Colorado, California's proximity to the ocean allows for fresh seafood, a delectable treat. To complete the delicious meal, I had a macaron ice cream sandwich.

On our drive home, we stopped in 29 Palms to spend a day hiking and exploring Joshua Tree National Park. A Joshua tree is an odd combination of a palm tree and a cactus, and they dot the landscape with their strange formations. The Mojave and Colorado Deserts, which make up the biome of the park, were unlike anything I have ever seen. Dry brush and scrubs form the majority of the vegetation, and rock formations randomly jut out of the earth, beautiful in a wild way.

Joshua Tree

4. 49 Palms Oasis
My family and I hiked a three mile loop to the 49 Palms Oasis. Amidst the desolate barrenness of the desert, palm trees and ferns spring up from the ground. This instance of life in a place so empty reminded me of the tenacity with which organisms survive. From the tiniest creatures to plants and humans, we engage in daily struggles with our environment. Overcoming these struggles leads to great, but rare, beauty, like an oasis in the desert.

49 Palms Oasis

5. Sacred Heart Chapel
Attending Easter Mass at Loyola Marymount University's Sacred Heart Chapel was the highlight of my trip. Easter Sunday sported gorgeous sunshine and brilliant blue skies, Combined with the inspirational message of Easter hope, the weather further lifted my spirits. All in all, the trip was a much needed break from the usual, even though I will never drive to LA again.

"God is the only one who can make the valley of trouble a door of hope" (Hosea 2:15)


Sacred Heart Chapel Loyola Marymount University

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE