Holland, Michigan

Gratitude Challenge - Week 32 - A City You've Visited
I just returned home last night after spending a few days in Holland, Michigan, visiting Hope College. From eating at a midwestern pub with my dad to auditioning and meeting with professors to visiting with students, I enjoyed every minute of my visit, despite the freezing wind and winter temperatures.

Holland itself is a quaint little city with an adorable downtown area. Coffee shops, specialty stores, and brew pubs adorn the streets, which are rid of all snow thanks to the heated sidewalks. The town bustles with a collegiate atmosphere, filled with hundreds of students completing homework, shopping, and socializing.

I flew in Thursday night and spent most of Friday on the campus of Hope College, auditioning for the dance program and meeting with students and professors. In one short day, I grew accustomed to the campus; by no means do I know every aspect, but I can at least locate the major buildings.

Here is a list of my five favorite spots from my visit to Holland:

This building, featured in the picture above, is the iconic representation of Hope College. Once the library, the building now houses classrooms and a small auditorium. It is one of my favorite buildings on campus mostly because it looks like a building from Hogwarts. In front, the anchor, a symbol of Hope College, alludes to the Bible verse, "Hope anchors the soul" (Hebrews 6:19).

This posh little gem made the list of 24 US Coffee Shops to Visit Before You Die, so obviously I had to go! Unfortunately, I do not like coffee, but I ordered a chai tea latte (my favorite), and it was the best one I have ever had. The atmosphere was a refreshing mix of students and locals. If I lived in Holland, I would most certainly blog in this coffee shop.

After flying in on Thursday night, my dad and I were starving, so we ate at this brew pub. I had a delicious turkey avocado sandwich. The service was fantastic, and it was quiet when we were there (around 8:30 pm), which was a nice break from the hustle and bustle of my trip.

Hope College students trek to this donut shop in the middle of the night to receive fresh-baked donuts for 89 cents each. I went with a few students, in my pajamas I must add, and although I did not order a donut, I could not believe the stream of students to this place. This campus secret cannot be missed, and hopefully, I can go back someday when it is not Lent!

I am so thankful for the opportunity to attend a chapel service on Friday. Between the powerful singing and the student testimony, the packed service radiated God's love for us. The Bible quote I mentioned above was solidified in this service - when all else is lost, hope truly anchors the soul.

I will not know where I will be going to college until April, but I am thankful for my visit to Holland. Even if I do not spend the next four years of my life there, I am grateful for the past few days I spent with lovely people in a lovely corner of the United States.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE