Wuthering Heights

What twisted webs we weave.

It took me forever to finally crack open Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I just finished reading it, about 15 minutes ago. My final exam on this book is tomorrow, at 8 am, so I procrastinated just a bit.


If you are looking for a happy or an easy read, this is not the book. Bronte twists the concept of love and weaves a complicated web of characters (I had to make a chart to even understand the relationships). However, the book reveals a certain amount of truth about love; it rarely works out in the way we think it will. Sometimes, there is no happy ending. That being said, I still fully believe in the power of love, and everything happens for a reason. With a little hope, even Bronte's reference to "the clouds of ignorance and degradation" will evaporate.

Although I love to read, that does not guarantee my approval of every book, nor does this mean that every book comes easily for me. This book was a chore; I could barely get through it. Just when I started to fall in love with the characters, they betrayed themselves, or each other. I suppose this is like life. People disappoint you. As a person who has high standards, I am always crushed by disappointment, whether self-inflicted or from others.

I cannot wait to finish my finals. Christmas break brings the promise of unlimited time to read and the potential for excessive tea drinking. I hope to read some books for pleasure because I am drowning in the classics! For the month of December, I pledged to read books by female authors. As per my AP Literature class requirements, I began with Wuthering Heights

As a side note, I originally intended to publish book-centered content on this blog, hence the title Polyliteramore. Obviously, it has veered off this course, but I like the 52 Weeks of Gratitude Challenge. In addition to these posts, I will publish occasional blogs about books.

I did capture one beautiful quote from the book. In context, it still follows the rather discouraging theme of the story, but out of context, it says a lot about love and companionship.

" He's more myself than I am. whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same "

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE