Oculus

Gratitude Challenge - Week 23 - Favorite Physical Trait

Though I occasionally pretend to be immune to society's standards and the thwarted notion of beauty, it is incredibly hard to maintain an attitude of self-love when bombarded by the Kardashians, Victoria's Secret Angels, and other celebrities with edited bodies that appear to be perfect.

When it comes to physical traits, I am proud of, and thankful for, my eyes. I consider my eyes to be blue, but they can appear green depending on the clothes I wear. Nothing bothers me more than when people try to tell me what color they think my eyes are. I do not mind if people say, "Your eyes look green," but I cannot tell you how many try to convince me that my eyes are actually green. After 18 years, I think I know what color my eyes are, thank you.

Anyway, I touched on my eyes a little in a previous post, Finding Humility in Vanity, but this goes a little deeper than that post. Yes, I love my blue eyes, and despite my poor vision, I am thankful for the ability to see. But my love of eyes comes down to much more than this.

Eyes are powerful. They function to give sight, but they also convey so much emotion. When words fail, eyes do not. On my worst days, my friends know how I am feeling not because I proclaim my sadness, but because my eyes do. On my best days, my eyes portray my happiness before I even open my mouth.

Eye contact works similarly; it allows one to judge the true intentions of a person. I am instantly intrigued by a person who can hold, and maintain, good eye contact. Fleeting eye contact often signals insecurity or deceit. Personally, one of the best feelings in the world is prolonged eye contact with someone you love.

When I first meet a person, the first thing I notice is their eyes. Rarely do I actually remember the exact color, but I definitely assess people according to their eyes. There is so much simple beauty in eyes.

I have been pinning hundreds of obscure English words on Pinterest recently, and one perfectly matches the theme of this post. Aspectabund is an adjective meaning "being able to let expressive emotion show easily through one's face and eyes." It captures the power of eyes in a single word, a true expression of beauty.

Like my blog? Follow my blog with Bloglovin.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE