Winter

Gratitude Challenge - Week 21 - Things You Like About Summer (Actually Winter)
A recent Wacky Sock Wednesday

As mentioned in my first seasonal post, Autumn, I realized that this challenge works best if you start on January 1st. Unfortunately, I started in July. This post ended up in the middle of winter, so that is what I am going to write about. It is perfect timing, though, because there is a layer of snow outside, and only my finals separate me from Christmas break.

Here are my top 10 favorite things about winter:

1. My friends and I celebrate Wacky Sock Wednesday year-round, but the cold weather opens up the opportunity for fuzzy socks that actually serve a purpose - keeping my feet warm! Plus, more people tend to wear fun socks around Christmas, so my fun socks are frowned upon far less than usual. Not that I care much anyway; I definitely march to the beat of my own drum.

2. I cannot dedicate a post of thankfulness to winter without mentioning snow. After growing up in Oregon and then moving to Colorado, I longed for rain rather than this foreign fluffy white stuff. Over the past few years, I have come to appreciate its beauty. Sparkling snow on a cold morning magnifies the beauty of nature. And, it never hurts to have a few snow days that cancel school.

3. It's Nutcracker season! As a dancer, the month of December quickly fills with last-minute rehearsals, costume fittings, and performances. This truly is the most wonderful time of the year to be a performer. I am so thankful to have the opportunity to be a soloist as an Angel in my studio's production of The Nutcracker.

4. Since I am also a senior this year, winter brings the beginning of college admission season. I am so blessed to say that I have been accepted to all the schools I applied to. However, this is only the beginning of my journey to college; now, I have to find scholarships and audition for dance programs to be accepted as a dance major.

5. When the holidays arrive, stores stock up with various holiday-themed treats. My personal favorite is peppermint ice cream. I usually stockpile it so it lasts through spring because it is only available once per year!
National Hot Chocolate Day
6. As fall fades out and the winter chill comes, I continue to drink tea, but I also add in hot chocolate. Yesterday, December 12, was National Hot Chocolate Day, and I made this giant cup to celebrate. It was supposed to help me study for finals, but I prefer to blog anyway.

7. When the Colorado wind picks up in winter, I love accessorising with scarves. I am definitely not a fashion person, but wearing a scare is such an easy way to look cute without putting much effort into my appearance.

8. Decorating cookies, my tree, and my house really puts me in the mood for Christmas. I love the smell of sugar cookies as it wafts through the house, and the scent of evergreen just increases the Christmas theme.

9. As much as I may complain, I truly love Christmas music. Generally, I start Nutcracker rehearsals in August, and Christmas music begins in Choir in October. By the time Christmas rolls around, I am often so tired of hearing carols that I nearly explode. Even though hearing the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy music makes me nervous in a mall, I love the holiday cheer that Christmas music brings. And I could never give up my copy of Josh Groban's Noel.

10. I cannot fail to mention the true meaning of the Christmas and winter season, Christ's birth. As cliche as it may be, Jesus truly is the reason for the season. Amidst rehearsals, shows, finals, shopping, and gift-giving, I must remember why we even have a holiday season. I am eternally grateful for my Catholic faith and the gift of God's only Son.


"For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; and the government shall be upon His shoulder, and His name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace" 
(Isaiah 9:6)

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE