Snowglobe Moments

Gratitude Challenge - Week 16 - Simple Things in Life
A snowglobe-worthy moment

At a football game the other night, one of my friends and I were admiring an adorable couple. Wrapped in a blanket, the boy was warming the girl's hands in the 30 degree weather. Sighing, my friend said, "I want to snowglobe that moment, so it lasts forever."

I love using old words in new ways. Though traditionally a noun, snowglobe is a perfect verb, meaning to capture a scene, stopping time and space to focus in on a single act of beauty. 

I suppose photographers fulfill this definition every day of their lives, but there is something about the idea of a three-dimensional ball with a perfect moment inside that means even more than a photograph. 

I would give anything to snowglobe those perfect moments of happiness in my life and in the lives of those around me. 

To savor every young, innocent love, moments like the first time a couple holds hands. 

To cherish times of uncontrollable laughter with friends. 

To remember every kind word from strangers on a bad day. 

I would snowglobe every good moment if I could. How beautiful are these simple things in life.

I have a favorite quote by Laura Ingalls Wilder, the author of the Little House on the Prairie series. Though she endured countless hardships, she said, "I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all."

This quote rings true every day of my life. As time passes, I rarely remember the big moments of success or failure, but instead, I remember the little moments of pure, unadulterated joy. And I am so thankful for these simple things.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE