The Neverending Journey

Gratitude Challenge - Week 19 - Health
An unhealthy obsession of mine

Post-Thanksgiving, I am so thankful for my health. My family and I have a history of obscure medical problems. This year, I am healthy and happy, and I praise God for that.
But it has not always been this way.

In 8th grade, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease, a rare autoimmune thyroid disorder that usually occurs in older women. I was 14 years old, strong, and active, but I felt horrible. Before my diagnosis, I experimented with various diets (vegetarian, dairy-free, gluten-free) to try to alleviate my painful stomach aches. Nothing worked.

Finally, my pediatrician noticed a bulge in my neck. My thyroid was overworked and, consequently, swollen. The remedy for Hashimoto's is a daily thyroid hormone pill, so I started taking it in hopes that I would feel better. After four years, my thyroid levels have finally stabilized, and I am happy to announce that I feel great!

However, feeling great is not everything. Hashimoto's will stay with me for life. It's effects will be minimal because I caught the disease early, but there are chances for certain complications. My biggest fear is that I will not be able to have kids, because my hormone levels tend to be highly unstable. Luckily, I have years before I have to face this issue.

Right now, I am healthy. I dance hours each week, run on Saturday mornings, and swim when I can. I am thankful for my health and my body. It is a journey to achieve health, but I am confident in my abilities to work toward this goal.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE