Required Reading

Gratitude Challenge - Week 17 - Something You Take for Granted

In the wake of the tragedies in Paris, it is easy to reflect on our lives and the things we take for granted. This post follows a similar theme as my last, but I think being grateful for the simple things is so often overlooked.
Current required reads

So this week, I am grateful for school. Yes, I loath Monday mornings with a passion, and I curse the beeping of my alarm clock at 6 am. I whine all week about my exhaustion, and I complain about the required reading.

But, where would I be without school?

I see the events of the world, regretting my ungratefulness. Thousands of girls cannot even attend school, yet, here I am, complaining.

Despite my less-than-grateful attitude, I love my education. Thanks to the contributions of my grandparent and parents, I have attended Catholic schools my whole life. This transformative education challenges and propels my ever-present curiosity.

Without school, I probably would not have fallen in love with books the way I did. It was peer pressure that made me read Harry Potter, and required reading that brought me to my favorite book, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. This year, my AP Literature class has twisted all of my previous notions of literature. I fall in love with reading all over again each and every day. Even a Shakespeare anthology captivates my inner bookworm.

My complaints about school pale in comparison to the problems of the world. Ashamed, I pronounce my newfound gratefulness for my senior year, my high school, my friends, and my books. I pray for Paris and all those who lack access to the safety net of education.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE