Denver Days


I am back in Los Angeles again, after 22 full days of winter break in Denver. This break was the longest consecutive stretch I have spent home since leaving for college my first year. I feel rejuvenated and ready to tackle the second half of my junior year. But first, here are some of the Denver places that helped me feel rested again.

I spent a lot of break doing my favorite things - listening to music, reading books, and going to see art. Wax Trax Records sells everything from cassettes to 8-tracks to full size records. At first, I did not want to buy anything, but then I found an original copy of Swan Lake (for four dollars!) and a record of Patsy Cline's greatest hits. With two records in hand, I picked another two from some of my favorite bands: The Wombats and Of Monsters and Men. Although I do not currently own a record player, my family does, and I was able to listen to all four records before I left. Once I move into an apartment, a record player is on my list of wishes!



During adventures with my family and friends, I ended up at the Tattered Cover Bookstore and the Denver Public Library. Tattered Cover sells a better variety of books than Barnes&Noble, and they have a decent used books section for those who are financially compromised (i.e. me). As much as I wanted Michelle Obama's $32.50 hardcover memoir, I decided to stick to two used paperbacks. 

The Denver Public Library has beautiful views of the city and offers patrons a variety of services, ranging from work space to computers to creative spaces for children. I had never actually been in the library, but it was a fun little exploration.


I visited Redline Art Gallery, a non-profit contemporary art center devoted to supporting local artists and under-privileged schools. Not only was the professional art amazing, but the center boasts twenty small studios where artists-in-residence work. Even more exciting, there is a small adjacent studio that houses student art, created under the guidance of the artists-in-residence. It was an experience of art, outreach, and community.


I also attended the Denver Art Museum's Dior exhibit, where I was both fascinated and horrified by the luxurious fashion. On the one hand, I am in awe of the art and preparation required to build clothes. On the other hand, the sheer expense of Dior clothing is more than 99 percent of people can afford. Unfortunately, much art is only aimed at the top one percent, and that is something I am passionate about changing. This is why Redline Art Gallery was so appealing in its effort to reach the community. A standout outfit from Dior is below, created by the first female creative director, Maria Grazia Chiuri, with words by Nigerian author, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.


Along with my artistic adventures, I also ate some delicious food over break. My family and I had a delicious sushi dinner at Sushi Bay, located on the historic Tennyson street. Denver is also becoming home to many shared spaces like the Dairy Block, which house multiple restaurants under the same roof. My family and I ate their on a cold night, and we were all able to satisfy our varied food preferences.

It would not be a true break if I was not in a coffee shop, and Port Side Coffee did the trick. I had a delicious matcha latte with friends. The coffee shop serves both breakfast and lunch foods as well, and I would definitely visit again for its clean atmosphere.

                      

Last but not least, I had a delicious salmon sandwich at Leven Deli Co. This little spot boasts large garage doors which open in the summer (it was almost warm enough the day I was there thanks to Colorado's erratic weather). Located right by the art museum and public library, this deli finds its way to serve the heart of Denver.


Now that I am back in Los Angeles, I have renewed energy to find places of art and food near me. I am hoping to explore a little more each semester. I love this crazy city so much, and I am thankful I get to call LA home.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE