Your Words Have Power


Every month, I make a bulletin board for my residents. Usually, I offer tips for studying, remind my residents of the policies, or point out campus resources. In the past month, there has been an issue of microaggressions and harmful speech on campus and in my residence hall. I made this bulletin board to remind my residents that what they say has power.

Each of the statements across the top demonstrates microaggressive speech, which is hateful and derogatory speech regardless of intention. I have heard all six of the hurtful statements across campus and in my own residence hall. In response, the coordinating bottom statements reveal personal experiences that should encourage people to be conscious of what they say.

While I was putting up the board, I heard someone make a rape joke. Even in the age of #MeToo, people do not think before they speak, and this scares me because we are a Jesuit institution. These microaggressions directly contrast our mission to be people for and with others. Meanwhile, five different people approached me privately to thank me for drawing attention to this type of language.

I have approached a few students about their language, and they often do not know what they say is hurtful. Still, ignorance is not an excuse for injustice. I have met some people on campus that, when corrected about their speech, ask for evidence of those offended. This does not solve the problem.

To demonstrate the offense, I would have to call on the personal experiences of everyone around me. It is not the job of those who are hurt to give testimony about their experiences. Unfortunately, we live in a climate where survivors of aggression of all types are interrogated and accused of weakness and hypersensitivity.

Words have meaning. They do a great violence to people. We all have experiences with people who have told us things we will never forget. It is a great disservice to language and to people when we choose to ignore the meaning of words. Saying "That's gay" is offensive even if there are no LGBTQ+ people in the room and shouting "That's retarded" is offensive even if you think there is nobody with a disability listening. It is not the responsibility of survivors to justify their right to kindness.

Particularly during this election season, we are all called to speak up for the rights of those without voices and those whose voices have been silenced. We are called to point out violence and microaggressions even when it is uncomfortable. We must vote using not only our conscience, but our compassion. Your words have power.

Please remember to make your voice heard this week at the polls!

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE