A Parisian Look Book

     

I detest clothes shopping. It stresses me out. More often than not, I cannot find anything I like or anything that fits, so I end up a sweaty mess in the dressing room, frustrated on multiple levels. Plus, clothes are unnecessarily expensive, and I would rather spend the money on a nice meal.

My mom always makes me go shopping, and I begrudgingly agree after much convincing. I like the idea of new clothes, sure, but the reality is much less enjoyable.

After studying abroad in Paris, I realized how much I love the modest, business casual look of the Parisians on the metro, and I found it suits my lifestyle much better than the Los Angeles look, which usually consists of wearing as little clothes as possible. Nothing wrong with that choice, but it's not for me.

In Paris, the women usually wear loose shorts or pants with blouses. They accessorize with scarves and dainty necklaces. On more casual days, they wear skinny jeans or sundresses. They mostly dress in neutrals - black, white, gray - with muted accent colors - dusty pink, maroon, dark blue. Their florals are simpler and less bohemian than what I usually find at American malls. They love stripes and occasionally polka dots, two of my favorite patterns.

I am never going to be a fashionista or a fashion blogger, but I did learn in Paris that it is fun to feel good about what you are wearing. I get nostalgic for the Parisian style every time I go to H&M, and I am trying to slowly change my wardrobe to more of the styles I love.

I just finished my first week of my junior year, but I have been back at school for nearly a month. After my fashion epiphany, I made a goal for this school year: unless I am dancing or working out, I will not wear workout clothes or leggings. So far, I have stuck to it, and even when it means I do a little more laundry, I am really enjoying dressing up for the day-to-day events. I wore the dress in the top photos for my staff dinner and the shorts combination below for an ice cream date with friends.

Even though I may not be standing in front of Parisian cathedrals anymore, I still brought so much of Paris with me, and I absolutely love it.

     

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE