A Second First Week


Last year, I made a top ten list of lessons I learned in the first week of my first year of college. A year later, I just went through another first week, and although I am a sophomore, some things never do change. As my residents experienced their first week, I used the lessons I learned a year ago in my second first week.

1. Schedule in time for yourself.
The first week of my sophomore year marked the end of the first month of my time at LMU. I have already settled into a routine, doing my laundry on Saturday nights as usual and going to the gym before the rest of the campus is even awake. Establishing my own routine keeps me sane and happy when the scheduling picks up. On Saturday, I helped run the competition between the first year residence halls known as Hall Brawls, and I woke up early before it started to go for a run. Because I had already taken care of myself, I was able to be fully present for my residents.

2. Enjoy every moment of alone time.
My single room has proved to be a blessing. I love to leave my door open, especially since it has been above 90 degrees almost every day, but it is nice to know I can shut my door and sit in silence on my floor.

3. Dreams take time to develop.
Last year, I was trying to find clubs to join, service organizations to volunteer with, and choirs to sing. None seemed to fit into my schedule, and I was rejected from the jobs and organizations I thought I would be passionate about. This year, I have two steady jobs that I adore (one as an RA, another at the Costume Shop), I am the Public Relations chair for LMU's chapter of National Dance Education Organization, and I am in training to become a cantor for church choir. My dreams have come true, but it was a jagged road to reach them.

4. Having low expectations can lead to unexpected surprises.
As a first year, I was clueless about the dance audition process, but desperate to be cast in a piece. The night of the audition, everything went wrong. I wore a leotard, the wrong shoes, and I could not even remember a bit of choreography. This year, I went in with low expectations, based off last year's disaster. Much to my surprise I was cast in a piece. Then, I assumed I was an understudy. But after today's rehearsal, I am excited to announce I will be dancing in a site specific piece somewhere around campus in October and November!

5. Jamba Juice is worth a 45 minute wait.
In this heat, sitting in the air-conditioned smoothie shop is more of a blessing than a curse. I'll take the kale smoothie and the wait time.

6. Perfect that run between classes.
I can go anywhere on campus in ten minutes. I can get tea on the way to class while I am running. Everything will be fine.

7. Be yourself.
Even though I am a staunch advocate of owning my individuality, even I struggled to fit into the college environment. Now, as an RA, I have hundreds of first years looking to me to see how a college student acts. I realize how happy I am to be at a university that celebrates diversity, and I am fully my own person this year, comfortable with all my quirks and qualities.

8. Have school spirit.
School spirit means showing up to school events you are interested in, whether it be Open Mic Night, the latest poetry slam, or the basketball game. School spirit means running the flag with first years during Hall Brawls. School spirit means #IloveLMU. School spirit means being proud to be a Lion.

9. You can never have enough free t-shirts.
I have received four in the past week, but I always want more. I am always ready to sport crimson and blue in an effort to push laundry one more day away!

10. Enjoy the little moments.
How this rings true, a year later and every year. My favorite moment of this week involved microwave popcorn, a TV show, and my tiny couch, so I have definitely mastered the art of the simple joys.

A year later, I am so blessed to be so in love with my school. I am more devoted and more proud than I was on my first day, which says a lot because LMU was (and still is) my dream school. I love everything I do here. How thankful I am for that.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE