From DIA to LAX

LMU Bluff

I hopped off the plane at LAX
With a dream and my cardigan


How much my life has changed in the past year, and the past week, continues to amaze me. Last Tuesday, I officially moved into my dorm at Loyola Marymount University, a change that came faster than I could ever expect. Of course, life is full of change, but the changes occurring currently in my life force me to leave behind all familiarity and plunge into a new world. I love it, but it is overwhelming.

As I reflected on these changes in my life, I thought of a timeline, looking back on the past in fives.

Five years ago, I was just about to enter my 8th grade year. My biggest fear was the Valentine's Day dance; I was certain I would not have someone to dance with (if only I could tell 14-year-old Gillian that the Valentine's dance would prepare me for going solo to my senior prom). At the top of the middle school food chain, I enjoyed a naive sense of superiority. I felt on top of the world, ready to conquer the end of middle school and yearning for high school.

Five months ago, in March, I was stressing about AP tests, prom dates, and which college I would attend. In fact, I had not yet even auditioned for LMU. The worst, the end of the year push toward exams and essays, and the best parts, prom and graduation, of senior year were yet to come. Amidst all the stress, I still did not have to do my laundry or worry about buying groceries.

Five weeks ago, in July, I was still enjoying the heart of summer. My life consisted of hanging with friends, swimming in the pool, and eating ice cream. I read at least one book in a week, or in a day, and I still treated college as a distant event.

Five days ago, I introduced myself to almost one hundred brand new faces in the University Honors Program. My script goes something like, "Hi, I'm Gillian. I'm majoring in Dance and English. Insert random question about current activity." In the past five days, I have walked nearly 20,000 steps every day, visited the Los Angeles Chinatown, and lost myself (with a group) on the Big Blue Bus system. Needless to say, I am safe in my dorm now, but it will be a bit before I venture back onto a LA bus.

Five hours ago, I officially became a member of the Class of 2020 in the Convocation ceremony. For the first time, I saw all 1,300 members of my freshmen class in one place, the Gersten Pavilion, home to LMU's indoor sports.

And not even five minutes ago, I said goodbye to my mom. Unless there is a drastic change in plans, the next time I see my family will be for our Skype sessions, and I will not go home until Thanksgiving. Leaving them behind was the hardest thing I have ever done, but I know this is where I am supposed to be.
Doheny LMU

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE