Colorado's Music Venues

Colorado Music Venues
In the last year, I have been blessed to attend three fabulous concerts at three different venues around Colorado. There is honestly nothing in the world like live music, and singing along to a song with thousands of other people creates a surreal atmosphere of peace.
The Pepsi Center serves as a multipurpose arena for sporting events as well as live music, seating over 20,000 for concerts. 
Imagine Dragons Pepsi Center
Opening Acts
  • Halsey - I fell in love with this feminist electropop artist. With her blue hair and tattoos, her appearance matches her sound - eclectic, powerful, and strong. From her ballads to her fast-paced songs, I found a new favorite artist.
  • Metric - This band was not really my style, but I remember these two girls sitting in front of me who came to the concert just for this band. They left after the opening act!
Imagine Dragons could not have been a more perfect first concert experience. Their explosive energy radiated from the stage through the crowd. Even though I sat three rows from the back of the Pepsi Center, I could not have been in a better place. Surrounded by grandparents, young kids, and teenagers, I enjoyed the diversity of the people around me - people that attended the concert because they loved music, not because they had money for seats in the first few rows.

The best part of live music is the spontaneity, the possibility for the performance to depart from the norm. I will never forget when the lead singer, Dan Reynolds, opened up to the audience about his struggle with depression and how music fueled his recovery. His sudden vulnerability contrasted the strength of the band, and I was struck by his honesty. He then finished the concert with an encore rendition of their famous song, "Radioactive". Reynolds proved the strength that can come from falling and picking yourself back up again.
Imagine Dragons Pepsi Center
This outdoor music venue seats 18,000 people. A group of my friends and I bought general admission tickets for Big Gig, hosted by the Colorado radio station 93.3. This all-day event took place on a typical summer day - 95 degrees and very few clouds in the sky. The heat was exhausting, and I would recommend this amphitheatre for an evening concert because there is no shade to escape the sun. Luckily, we all survived with rounds of spray-on sunscreen, umbrellas, and water bottle refills.
93.3 Big Gig
Opening Act
  • The Midnight Club - This local band was founded at the end of 2015 by four high school students. They surprised me with their vibe reminiscent of the 1920s and their energy despite the lethargic heat. I definitely want to watch this band as it develops!
Here are the five bands that played at Big Gig:

After gaining recognition for their hit songs, "Follow My Feet" and "Your Love Could Start a War", The Unlikely Candidates, an indie rock band from Texas, began to take over alternative radio stations around America. Their upbeat songs perfectly match their clever lyrics.

With a slightly more electric sound, Vinyl Theatre emerged into the indie rock scene in 2014 after forming in Wisconsin. They previously toured with Twenty One Pilots, and rose to fame with their song "Breaking Up My Bones".

I entered Big Gig with no knowledge of the band Misterwives, and left with a new favorite. After listening to three bands with male dominated sounds, the exuberance of the female lead singer, Mandy Lee, surprised me. Known for their defiant anthems calling for equality and self-love, Misterwives, an indie pop band from New York City, stole the stage, and my heart.

The most anticipated band of the night, X Ambassadors played their songs with fervor and passion. By the time they took the stage, the sun had finally begun to set, so the crowd shook off the heat and began to celebrate more. Although I had been a fan of the band before the concert, their sound was so much more powerful in person, and my favorite songs like "Renegades" and "Unsteady" were beautiful. In this age of synthesized music and edited sound, it is a welcome surprise to find a band sounds better live.

A California rock band, Young the Giant became an instant hit with its first three released singles in 2009. Their chill songs are reminiscent of lazy summer days at the beach, and at the concert, they were a calm before the storm to come.

That storm was Cage the Elephant. With their stage energy and diverse sound, they definitely woke everyone from any exhaustion. Although I love a few of their songs, including "Mess Around", "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked", and "Come a Little Closer", their sound was abrupt and jarring, especially at 10:30 after a long day. Still, I enjoyed hearing the band in person.

I loved Big Gig, and Fiddler's Green, but I do not feel the need to attend another all day concert, at least not in the summer. The heat was exhausting, and my friends and I had to spend a few days recovering from the dehydration, even though we drank as much as possible. I would recommend this venue for evening concerts in the summer because of its lack of shade.

93.3 Big Gig
Seating 9,500 people at the base of the Rocky Mountains, Red Rocks is easily my favorite music venue. After the heat at Big Gig, the cool mountain breeze and setting sun made for perfect concert weather.
Halsey Red Rocks
Opening Act
  • Oh Wonder - This British duo playing melodious alternative pop music was the perfect opening for the Halsey concert. From September 2014 to September 2015, these two musicians wrote, recorded, and released a song each month, creating a self-published album.
Oh Wonder Red Rocks
Having followed Halsey since her performance as Imagine Dragons' opening act, I could not wait to see her in concert. She came onto the stage roaring with energy and sang five songs without stopping. Despite her commanding presence onstage, throughout the concert, her monologue characterized her as more than a passionate singer. Halsey seemed incredibly kind, and even a bit shy, as she talked about overcoming hatred in the world with love. This concert was a perfect way to celebrate the closing of a special year. From Imagine Dragons to Halsey, I plan on watching live music for the rest of my life.

Halsey Red RocksHalsey Red RocksHalsey Red Rocks

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE