Books Not Bullets

In honor of Malala's 18th birthday today, I choose to support the Books Not Bullets campaign with my favorite book, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. If the world stopped spending money on the military for 8 days, we could raise the $39 billion necessary to give every child 12 years of free education. I truly believe that education, not militarism, is the key to freedom and peace.

Betty Smith wrote this pseudo-autobiography in 1943. She details the story of Francie, a girl born to an alcoholic father and a hardworking mother in the slums of Brooklyn. The book follows Francie as she matures into a young woman, simultaneously revealing the hardships that accompany the burden of adulthood. However, Francie does not give in to the struggles surrounding her. Rather than allowing her past to hinder her personal growth, she rises from illiteracy and poverty, overcoming her lack of an education to pursue a better life. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is a story of hope, not despair.

My 8th grade literature teacher introduced me to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Though it was required reading, I fell in love with the story. I read it in 8th grade, then again as a freshman in high school, and once again before junior year. Each time, I brought my new perspective on life, and I found that I related to Francie even more each time. Although I have not faced the extreme obstacles that Francie encountered, I do believe that everyone experiences obstacles. This book inspires me to remain tenacious and to fall in love with every moment of life, for it is so precious.

Throughout the book, the pursuit of an education propels Francie to a better life, and this theme is still so pertinent today. Millions of children around the world, especially girls, lack the funds or the resources necessary to achieve an education. If we all work together, we can end this illiteracy.

Below is one of my favorite quotes from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - it perfectly captures the power of literacy in a child's life.

“From that time on, the world was hers for the reading. She would never be lonely again, never miss the lack of intimate friends. Books became her friends and there was one for every mood. There was poetry for quiet companionship. There was adventure when she tired of quiet hours. There would be love stories when she came into adolescence and when she wanted to feel a closeness to someone she could read a biography. On that day when she first knew she could read, she made a vow to read one book a day as long as she lived.” 

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE