Seattle Spring


I visited my best friend at Seattle University for a long weekend as part of my spring break. A fellow Jesuit school, Seattle U is located just northeast of downtown Seattle, Washington, and just south of the kitschy hip Capitol Hill neighborhood. I adored the city campus, which felt more urban than LMU but still has a college feel good for walking around at all hours and wearing sweatpants to the library.


The weekend started with a late Friday night trip to Frankie & Jo's. This vegan and gluten free ice cream shop is a little pricey, but absolutely delicious. I tried their Velvet Heartbeet with Jamocha Chaga Fudge - I couldn't even tell it was vegan!

On Saturday morning, Ali and I made a quick stop at Kaladi Brothers Coffee for my first chai of the weekend. Their sweet and spicy chai was as beautiful as it was delicious.


For sightseeing purposes, we walked through The Starbucks Reserve and Melrose Market on the way to Pike Place Market



After eating a falafel salad at Cherry Street Coffee House, we stopped by the Seattle Public Library. The winding floors spiral up to a viewing room where the glass ceiling features views of the whole city. Little gems are hidden throughout the library - a red room, study spots, and a cute gift shop. I would be remiss if I did not mention this is one of the last places the homeless population can seek heat and shelter from the rain and cold, so the library is full of many different people. However, everyone respected the quiet reading space, and I appreciated the way books can bring people together.

In the afternoon, we spent a few hours drinking tea and eating macarons at Amandine Bakeshop, a bakery with work space upstairs. We finished the day with a delicious meal at Cafe Turko. This Turkish restaurant is located just north of Seattle in Fremont. Between the five college girls, we managed to get some of our meal for free, but we rewarded our charming waiter with a tip. That night, we watched The Big Sick for some laughs, a few tears, and a romance.

Sunday morning started with a trip to Oddfellows, a brunch spot just adjacent to Elliott Bay Book Company. Luckily, we beat the rush and only waited about 20 minutes to be seated. I love brunch (it is probably one of my favorite meals), and this restaurant did not disappoint.


Moving over to the bookstore, we studied, wrote, and read for hours in this gorgeous bookshop. Featuring local publications and minority authors as well as hundreds of undiscovered gems, this bookstore's selection was so enticing, I wanted to buy every book I picked up. Nourished by a chai from Little Oddfellows, the bookstore's coffee shop owned by the restaurant next door, I never wanted to leave.




I ended up reading a book in Elliott Bay and then buying two (one was on sale). Before I broke the bank anymore, Ali managed to pull me away from the books with Molly Moon's Homemade Ice Cream. Here, I tried their Earl Grey and Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie dough, which combined two of my favorite flavors. Next to books, ice cream is my favorite treat.


That evening, we got dinner at The Lemongrass Pho, and it was the perfect meal for the chilly Seattle weather. Evening Mass at the Chapel of St. Ignatius was rejuvenating, and I particularly loved this abstract statue of Mary, marking her shrouded silhouette with an outpouring of the milk of motherhood. It gave me chills.


On Monday morning, we had a quick breakfast at the Law School on campus before Ali was off to class. I grabbed a London Fog at another Cherry Street Coffee House before exploring the St. James Cathedral.


Before I left, we stopped at Cupcake Royale for carrot cake and red velvet cupcakes. As Ali drove me back to the airport, I was sad to leave, of course, but filled with gratitude for this trip. I got to see her life, at least a vignette of it, and now I can picture where she is (most likely in a coffee shop or eating ice cream). In turn, I am thankful for so much about my own home in Los Angeles - the sun, the beaches, the vibrant diversity.

If you want more details on Pike Place Market, Ali has a fabulous post here on her own blog. Go check it out!

Last but not least, here are some candids:



Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE