Finding a Place in the Resistance


March is Women's History Month (or Herstory as people are fondly calling it), and I found some of my favorite images to create a bulletin board in my building. Now, I walk by it every time I leave my room, and I love being inspired by the photos and the women around me. I just wanted to share these images on my blog, to keep the positivity and strength going.

This week, I participated in the National School Walkout day on Wednesday, March 14th. From 10:03 to 10:20 am, hundreds of students gathered to commemorate the 17 lives lost in the Parkland shooting in Florida. Our student body president, Hayden Tanabe, thanked us for being there and led a moment of silence for all victims of gun violence, especially in schools.

Rabbi Zach from LMU's Jewish Student Life read a prayer relating the way animals were saved two by two on Noah's ark to the need for us to stick together, two by two, to continue to fight for safe schools. 

A few students gave short speeches, most notably Austin Raymundo, an RA from a building near mine. He spoke emphatically about how he has sent a letter to every senator, 100 in total, regarding the need for restrictions on guns, and he has only received 15 responses. He encouraged us to vote, to call our representatives, to continue to speak up.

It is so easy to become discouraged. On social media, I saw friends participating in Constitution readings of the Second Amendment while I was participating in the walkout. But I so wholeheartedly believe in the right to be safe and the right to education, that I am determined to continue to work toward peace in this country. 





Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE