A Week of Art

In the past week, I have seen three shows around campus, falling in love with embodied performance all over again. This series of performances came at the tail end of my own performances around campus (more on that to come later when I get access to the photos!), so I enjoyed sitting in a theatre and watching the magic of live performance unfold onstage.
Photo Courtesy of Nicole Closson 

Drei, meaning three in German, was choreographed by Nicole Closson, a senior dance major. After spending her last semester abroad in Germany, she created her senior thesis around three themes - time, satisfaction, relationships. She incorporated humor in such a refreshing way, blending the seriousness of reflection with her obvious love for the art form that is dance.



Photo Courtesy of LMU Dance Program

After performing for two weeks in a prequel to this semester's faculty dance concert, I enjoyed sitting in the theatre to watch the dance show from the other side for the first time. As a sophomore, I know nearly everyone in the dance program, and I loved watching my friends on stage. The concert ran the gamut from ballet to hip hop to modern, showcasing the versatility of our dance program. The night I watched, there was a technical error, so I received the opportunity to see one of my favorite dances twice, and I have so much admiration for the strong men and women that grace the LMU stage.


Photo Courtesy of Del Rey Players
As if two dance shows were not enough, I went to the student-run production of the play Almost, Maine on Friday night. A collection of one-act-like scenes, the play explored the theme of love and relationships in a small town in Maine. The humorous moments offset some of the painfully awkward encounters, and I was touched by the way each scene mimicked real life.

And, today, I went to Los Angeles Ballet to take a free class with one of my dear ballet friends. We took the Pro/Advanced Class, which was not as hard as I wanted it to be, but I loved dancing with a friend for free! I can't stop loving art, every single day of the week. Each day of my life has been so filled with art, movement, and performance, and I can only hope for a career as artfully joyous as this.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE