Interview with an Author

The name Gillian is a rare name to come across, so when I first discovered G.S. Banks through her bookstagram and blog, I did not think much of her initials. Eventually, we realized we shared the same first name, despite living worlds apart. From this common namesake, and our love of books, a friendship was born. When she suggested an interview, I was thrilled; she sent me ten questions (you can read my responses here), and I responded with my own inquiries.

Photo Courtesy of G.S. Banks
A generation and thousands of miles apart, here are the results of our correspondence:

1. What is your favorite book and why? Favorite genre?

My favourite book of all time has to be 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen. It is some of the greatest work by one of the greatest authors. For all its lightness and humor, I marvel at the complex storytelling genius displayed in that book. In terms of genre, I read widely across many genres, from high fantasy to real world fantasy, to literary fiction to non-fiction. I do love YA because that's where my own work comes out but generally I love the greats of many different genres.

2. After studying Art History, do you have a favorite art museum and artist?

My favourite art musuem is the Peggy Guggenheim Collection in Venice. It is a little gallery on the side of the Grande Canal with beautiful gardens, housing one of the foremost collections of 20th century art, brought together by the American art lover Peggy Guggenheim during her lifetime. My favourite living artist is Vanessa Beecroft, a video artist, and my favourite artist from the past is Caravaggio, the Italian painter.

3. What is your favorite city you have visited?

Jerusalem. I went when I was 13 years old, reluctantly dragged along by my parents for a church trip. I didn't think I would like it but as soon we arrived I was completely in love. I've never been to a city so spiritual, so magical, despite the fact that there were young soldiers carrying massive guns everywhere. The streets really felt like they were thousands of years old, I can't even explain it but the whole place just seems to be imbued by life.

4. What is it like to juggle motherhood and writing/your career? 

It is one of the biggest challenges of my life, but as I have risen to the gargantuan task of motherhood, my writing and my career have come along with it. Having my son gives me purpose, and puts everything into perspective.

5. If you could live anywhere now, where would you live?

Probably New York. I love New York. I lived there for a short while in my twenties. Most of my stories have New York in them, because it is like this mad, eccentric, beautiful character all of its own.

6. What advice would you give a university student?

I made such a plethora of mistakes as a university student, it becomes hard to say. Eventually, I did learn from those mistakes - so I suppose learning from one's mistakes is a good tip! It probably depends which university it is - but if it is anything like my university I would also say - remember why you are there. Remember your dreams, your hopes for the future. Partying is fun, but temporary. Hold on to your dreams, hold on to yourself, if you can.

7. What is your favorite type of tea?

An outrageously impossible question! Ok, ok. Strawberries & Cream, no Raspberry Green Tea... No, has to be some kind of Chai Tea... Ah! Wait... Lady Grey. Yes, definitely Lady Grey.

8. Do you have a particular moment that deeply influenced your life and its path?

Whilst in labour with my son just over a year ago, I became very sick, and I had to undergo life-saving treatment in hospital in order to survive. When I woke up in the intensive care unit, surrounded by medical personnel and people who were unconscious, many at the end of their lives, I knew that it was time to start living - and I mean, really living. Not living for others, but for myself, and for my son.

I knew then that the first thing I had to do was begin with small steps towards recovery. It began with forcing myself to eat a slice of toast, to build some strength back. I did that, crumb by crumb even though I could hardly move my arms and I wasn't hungry. I will never forget that slice of toast! I've been taking each task, each step ever since and although I fail constantly and get it wrong over and over, I do keep pulling myself back onto the track, reminding myself what is important, what I am here to do, then I keep going.

9. What are your thoughts on making the world a better place?

I used to worry about this, a lot. I would watch what was going on around the world and say, but what can I do? I didn't think I could do that much, not really. Not when the scale of the problems was considered. But for me now, I believe the best thing I can do is pursue the goals I have, using the gifts I have, in the best way I know how. And go from there. Like that piece of toast I ate in hospital, I will take it one bite at a time.

In terms of what I feel needs done - well, I personally think it's a bit like Game of Thrones. There's all these battles that go on between political parties and candidates and countries and it's all so involving and entertaining that the entire world forgets to look at, and join forces to combat the true threats to mankind, such as a decaying planet, war and cruelty.


10. Have you faced any discrimination or challenges as a female, particularly in your studies and career?

I haven't faced much overt discrimination in my career, but very few discriminations are overtly spoken out here in Britain, so there could have been some that I didn't hear of! I've never had anyone say that I couldn't do something because of my gender, and I thank the feminists that came before me for that. I've faced challenges however, that's for sure. Having a child brings its own set of circumstances that are unique to being a woman, but I wouldn't have it any other way, I love being female!

Photo Courtesy of G.S. Banks
To follow G.S. Banks, visit her here.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE