Best WWII Novels


WWII Novels
One way I can judge the quality of a book is through its ability to make me feel something. I am usually not very emotional; after reading a mediocre book, I can shut the covers and move on. A good book might make me think a little, but the best books make me cry or stay up at night contemplating the deeper truths of literature and life.

My favorite genre is historical fiction; I love to learn about the truth of history through the development of fictional characters. Recently, I have read a few fantastic books about World War II, so I decided to feature four of my favorite historical fiction novels about WWII.

All of these novels describe the perseverance of the human spirit, especially among women. Although the tragedies of WWII cannot ever be ranked, these books focus on behind-the-scenes events. They prove the power of altruism, self-sacrifice for the good of another. And, they show that good does indeed come from suffering.

1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
This book is one of my top three favorite books of all time. From the unconventional narrator of Death to the main character to the tragic heroism, this book imprinted on me for a lifetime. In fact, this year I wrote a paper on the book for AP Literature. In it, I quoted the book's last line, in which Death says, "I am haunted by humans." Although found on the last page, this quote resonates throughout the novel, as Zusak plays with the ironic relationship between death and humanity. When I read this line, I cried, for the sake of the book, but also for the sake of humanity and the sadness of war. I cannot say much more without spoiling the plot, but this book is a must-read!

2. The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
My mom and I just read this book, and it left us both in tears. The story follows two sisters in their struggles throughout WWII, and the sacrifices they make for the people they love. The most haunting aspect is that you do not know which sister lives to tell the story until the very end. Its heartbreaking climax and moving falling action brought a torrential downpour of my tears. Even though the book is so sad, the true meaning of the story lies within the power of forgiveness and the power to see good in evil.

3. Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
A friend recently lent this book to me, and it was surprisingly similar in style and content to The Nightingale. Told from the alternating perspectives of a nurse, a German deserter, a Polish refugee, and a Nazi, the book analyzes the chaos in the aftermath of WWII. Though not quite as sad, this book is equally touching, and sheds light on the little known struggles of refugees after the war.

4. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
I read this book in fifth grade (seven years ago, yikes), and it was my first introduction to the theme of the Holocaust and WWII. The book sparked my love for historical fiction, and my curiosity over the events of the 20th century. Its heartfelt ending proves that friendship can stand the test of time and war.

5. Night by Elie Wiesel
In his semi-fictional memoir, Wiesel addresses the horrific situation within the concentration camps, detailing the deterioration of his father and his own struggle to survive. This book is extremely disturbing because it reveals the deep-rooted issues within humanity, but it is well worth the read.

6. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Last year, I read this book as extra credit for AP Lang, and I positively adored it. Although the movie was not my favorite (film adaptions are never as good as the books), this book demonstrates the human will to survive, as well as the power of the human spirit. Similar to Night, but with a redeeming ending, this book is one of a kind.

Nonfiction Honorable Mentions
There are so many well-written nonfiction books about WWII, and I could not devote a post to the topic without including these.

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
This book is so lovely that I could write an entire post about it, and I may do so in the future. The haunting part of the book lies within its abrupt ending, demonstrating the fragility of human life.

Four Perfect Pebbles by Lila Perl and Marion Blumenthal Lazan
I read this in middle school when we studied the Holocaust. A moving story of familial love and the will to survive, this book provides a ray of hope when the sun failed to shine.

All of these books provide insight into the tragedy of the Holocaust and WWII, but they also give hope for humanity. 
I pray for the tolerance and forgiveness of humanity to prevent another tragedy such as this. Even in the darkest times, true bravery and goodness shine, and this is something to live for and aspire to.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE