Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Although I love to read, rarely do I find a book that is as captivating as it is meaningful. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore was exactly that, a whimsical combination of Mysterious Benedict Society-like mystery and the bookish nostalgia I crave. I devoured this book in less than 24 hours.

The book takes place merely a few years ago, during the Great Recession that plagued my childhood. Laid off from his digital design job at a startup, Clay Jannon takes the night shift at a strange independent bookstore. Soon, his new job pulls him into an adventure involving the oldest book cult of all time, various levels of technology, and a beautiful girl. The book combines the importance of literature with the rise of 21st century technology. Even I, a complete non-techie, could understand the technological jargon in this book because it was intertwined with the classic love for books that I relate to. This adventure-mystery with a hint of romance and a whole lot of books made for the perfect recipe.

When it comes to books, I am never stingy. I will read anything and everything. In fact, sometimes I am so desperate to read that I resort to whatever physical text is in sight. However, I am very picky about labeling a book my favorite. In fact, I prefer to keep my list of favorite books down to the very minimum.

Before reading Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, my list of favorite books consisted of exactly three.
1. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
3. The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan (I haven't blogged about this one, yet, that is)

But this book was so thrilling, I am officially extending my list of favorite books to include a fourth. And, if you need further convincing to read it, the cover glows in the dark.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE