Making Space


photo by Josh S. Rose

I've spent almost six months dancing, doing Pilates, and taking yoga classes in my bedroom. The pandemic has challenged me to re-evaluate what I love most and how much I am willing to cling to my former life. I've always disliked technology. I still struggle to make it through an eBook, and I prefer face-to-face conversation over a phone call. That's something I have had to work through in order to adapt to this virtual world.

I love dance studios, libraries, coffee shops, museums, concerts, theaters, poetry readings, and bookstores - all places that have been compromised by the need for social distancing and mask-wearing. When I first heard about doing a yoga training online, I thought it was a bad idea, or at least, an unsatisfying one. 

Instead, studying with Lila Flow Yoga kept me involved with many of my friends from college that also decided to do the training. Studying yoga has been the best thing I've done for myself during this virtual time. Curiously, Zoom became a studio space of sorts. I realized I still have community. I still feel the magic. I have something that makes me look forward to tomorrow, to next week, to next year.

In my many hours of dancing in my room, I often grow frustrated because I just do not have enough space. I have bruises from running into my furniture and carpet burns on my knees. With yoga, I do not feel that same frustration. It has become one activity I look forward to because it does not feel any different in my body. Sure, pre-pandemic yoga involved going to classes at the gym, but post-pandemic yoga has not fundamentally changed. All I need is my mat (and a few props).

I am grateful for the space yoga has reminded me I still have in my life - whether it be the space in my bedroom, in my body, or in my mind. The culture of yoga is not my own, and I acknowledge my space as a guest in this practice. I am so excited to embark on a journey learning about its rich and varied history. 

I am teaching my first yoga class next week through Lila Flow Yoga's online studio. Class will be on Tuesday, July 28th, at 9am PST/12pm EST. It is a livestream, so I will teach and do the class with you! Here is the link to register: https://www.union.fit/events/lila-flow-yoga-lila-flow-graduate-36f86e1d-c2fe-45e4-950d-039539601519/performances/zmhqnv4i

I'm teaching on Tuesdays every week, so here is the link to my full schedule! https://www.union.fit/users/gillian-ebersole

I hope to see you on the mat! Yoga has brought me so much joy, and I hope you will allow me to share that with you. 

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE