Finding Time


One of the professors in the English department always says, "Time is our most precious non-renewable resource." And it is - no matter what we do, we never get time back.

The past few weeks have been pressing against me as my senior year comes careening to an end, the world faces a global health situation, the politics of our country threaten to plunge us into more years of division. It's a lot to hold all at once.

I have been asking the universe for more time. Please grant me a sense of spaciousness in my daily life so I can savor each moment. Let me acknowledge how life feels more precious than ever.

This week, my beloved mentor and friend, Teresa Heiland, visited campus for the first time since she left LMU for a a job as a professor at University of North Carolina, Greensboro. I knew she would be in town, but we were unclear on what day she would be on campus. On Tuesday morning, she texted me that she would be around all day. My heart sank - on Tuesdays, I have class from 9:40am to 10pm with few breaks.

I did something I have not done in a long time. I prayed. I asked for time because I knew that I could not create it myself. One of my three-hour poetry workshops was cancelled, and I was able to spend the entire afternoon with Teresa. I even had time to take a long shower and eat a full meal before my night class.

This week is my spring break. I was supposed to be in New York City on a school-sponsored Career Trek, making connections in the city with alumni and artists who live and work there. Unfortunately, the trip was cancelled last minute because of the coronavirus.

Mostly, I mourned the first Broadway ticket I had ever purchased to see Jagged Little Pill (albeit in a partial view seat). I was upset my ticket would go to waste, as well as the money I had forked over to see the show. I called the ticket agency, and they refunded the full cost of my ticket. Not only did they offer a refund when there was not supposed to be one, but they were incredibly kind and supportive.

Now, I am spending my whole spring break in Los Angeles. Even though I'd love to be in NYC, I am happy to have these unexpected free days, especially as I look toward the end of my time in Los Angeles. I am committing to working ahead on my thesis and classwork, but I am also committing to some much-needed sleep and relaxation.

And, I am so excited to announce I have accepted my dream job out of college - a Public Relations Internship for the prestigious summer dance festival at Jacob's Pillow. I am going to spend May through September dancing, writing, and viewing some of the best dance in the world.

Still, it is hard to celebrate when the world is panicking. I continue to pray for time. Time for healing, time for rest, time for celebration, time for unity.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE