June Gloom


I have never spent the month of June in Los Angeles, and at the end of finals, I was so excited to go to the beach every weekend and actually spend some time outside. Then, I checked the weather, and it is 65 degrees and cloudy. Every day.

On the one hand, this kind of cool weather is my favorite. I love to hunker down with a cup of tea, a good book, and my notebook for a whole day. In the past week or so, I have read two books, caught up on my own writing, done research for nearly 40 hours, and watched quite a few movies. The cool weather is great for running and working out, so I do that every morning.

On the other hand, I am dying for some sun. I just want to go to the beach! Around 3pm every day, the June gloom starts to hit me because I am used to being able to see the sky. Between my Colorado upbringing and the ocean sunsets during the other LA months, I am not used to this gloomy weather. Plus, I am living in my first apartment, and if I am not careful, I would never leave!

This morning, I went to Mass outside for the first time in my life. Since Sacred Heart Chapel is undergoing renovations, 10am Mass on campus is being held in the sculpture garden next to the Chapel. When I woke up for Mass, I was not looking forward to the cool weather. I put on a jacket, which I rarely do here in LA, and got myself out of my apartment. The Mass was beautiful and the foggy backdrop of the bluff as stunning as ever. It was perfect weather for sitting outside - not too sunny or hot, but warm enough to not be miserable.

This week, I am trying to get creative with my adventures, so hopefully I will get out on the town, even though it will still be cloudy.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE